Chapter 4: A Bullet Met With A Sharp Eye (New Version!)

Family Outings weren't common for the Royal Family.

They had their fair share of bonding throughout the years. The Emperor always found time to spend a few days every week with his children. Though, most of the time, he'd be drowning in paperwork. He also hate to admit it but he had a bit of favoritism when it came to Anastasius.

Anastasius was more than the Emperor could ask for. A perfect child, so to speak. The Emperor knew well enough that his eldest was capable to rule. The 12 year old exuded a strong aura with high intelligence and looks. There was no doubt that he'd be the Crown Prince in four years time.

That is.... until Claude came to the picture.

Claude de Alger Obelia was an unexpected twist in the Emperor's life. Heck, the child was a surprise to everyone, even the villagers themselves were shocked. Why else would the Emperor want another child? Princess Odette was already present, so why need for another? They frequently asked. And the Emperor would answer to himself, I don't know.

The youngest prince shared the same features as the Royal lineage. A pair of cerulean eyes blessed with soft golden hair. He had a certain charm that attracted people. Not to mention, Claude was also gifted with intelligence too. Along with a huge amount of mana within him.

Between Anastasius and Claude, it was a shock that the youngest was stronger. Claude had mana that was strong as the Emperor's. And he was only seven.

It was amazing, really. A commoner's child, having such power? Extraordinary. Not even the Royal Mages could deny Claude's magic.

So, the Emperor decided. He decided to arrange a Royal Family Bonding. Mainly because he wanted to test the child's mana. It was also because he wanted to hunt a new deer to his collection.

Yes, you read that right. They were going to have a Hunting Trip in the Forest of Mist. It was known for its supernatural creatures that were extremely difficult to capture.

To Odette and Claude, it looked like a normal family trip. It was a first for Claude to actually be invited in an event like this. Odette was also there with him, so he was happy. As long as his big sister was here, he could endure the Empress' hatred toward him.

Anastasius, meanwhile, saw the event as a contest. Or a test. Perhaps the Emperor wanted the eldest prince to prove himself worthy? If so, then he had no plan to fail. He needed to succeed and be the best. That was the least he could do before leaving for Arlanta.

As for Odette.... well, Odette could pretty much feel the tension between the two princes inside the carriage. They were on their way to the the Forest of Mist.

The prince was staring mindlessly outside the moving carriage. It seems that he was deep in thought too. He was seated alone; his legs crossed. Odette and Claude sat on the other side, the younger prince sleeping silently.

"Anastasius?" The princess called her older brother.

He snapped out of his thoughts. His eyes shifted to Odette's. "What is it?"

Odette eyed Anastasius suspiciously. "Why are you wearing such heavy equipment?" she was referring to the heavy-duty armor that he was wearing. It was usually used by knights who fought to war. No one would even dare wear it to a hunting trip.

Anastasius raised an eyebrow. Why would Odette such an obvious question? "Because we're going hunting, that's why."

Odette nodded slowly, pretending to understand. "What do you plan on hunting?"

"The deer that Father wants; the one with the most exquisite antlers," Anastasius explained. He remembered the picture of the deer. It was huge and rare to find. "The King of the Forest, some might say."