Chapter 17: A Night You'll Never Forget

Odette and Anastasius were now on the assemby hall. The two-door entrance was the only thing separating them from the main ballroom inside, where tons of nobles, delegates, and the like were already chattering. Odette could hear the crowd, along with the sound of the orchestra through her ears. They were playing a piece she was familiar with-- one she loved to hear, actually. 

"What are you doing here, Claude?" Anastasius said out of a sudden, snapping out Odette from her thoughts.

The 12 year old stood at 5'6, just a few inches above her. He'd probably get taller, and even surpass Anastasius. However, as of now, she looked a bit short beside his older brother.

"I'm here to greet my sister a happy birthday, dumbass." he bluntly said. His suit matched Anastasius', except his had a shade of Royal Blue.

Claude then approached Odette, and she smiled at him. "You look gorgeous, by the way." the 12-year old complimented.

"You don't look that bad yourself either, Claude." she greeted with a nudge. "where's your escort, by the way?"

He raised an eyebrow. "You mean Penelope? Well, she's there with Roger. I want to make a cool entrance with you, Odette."

The statement alone made Anastasius roll his eyes "Tch." he said. "you can't enter with Odette. Princesses only accept Princes as tall as me."

Odette laughed lightly, seeing his two brothers joke around each other. She missed moments like these, just like when they were younger. It was nice that Anastasius still had the time to even spend time with Claude and invite him to Council Meetings. (There was no denying that Anastasius, at times, still felt odd, though. As if he wasn't the same person just seconds ago.)

"Oh fuck off, Anastasius." Claude remarked.

Odette lightly slapped his face. There was no way that Claude could say such... such foul words. He was only 12, for pete's sake. "Language, Claude. Princesses don't like Princes who cuss." she said, trying to join Anastasius' banter for Claude.

Anastasius then joined arms with Odette. He gestured Claude to move forward, and he playfully snuck out his tongue at his younger brother. It made the second prince pissed, so he just ignored it and turned away. Then, as if on time, the doors opened and the trumpets started playing.

This was the start of Odette's Unforgettable Debutante.

----------

There were different guests from the Empire's conquered nations--- the delegates, nobles, honorary knights, and everyone else in between. They, of course, were more than pleased to be invited to the one and only Princess Odette's ball. The Princess, as the rumors say, had heavenly features, along with an angelic personality. She was nicknamed, The People's Princess, for she captured the hearts of many because of her good actions.

Only four months away, most women already had their luxurious gowns fitted. They contacted their personal stylists, and went to plenty of different shops. The men did the same, too. Most went to various business trips just to search for the right gift--- the right suit, the right watch, and everything else in between. They did all this because they only wanted one thing.

To become the star of the night.

Each of them wanted to steal everyone's attention-- to become the center of all. Most ladies dreamt of the Emperor recognizing their beauty and, perhaps, picking them as his wife. So, they showed up in the most puffiest of gowns and heavy make-up. Most men, meanwhile, dressed to impress. There were other debutantes who were also in the party, so they hoped to find their match.