Chapter 29: A Pair of Piercing Crimson Eyes

Lucas felt something ignite in his heart.

It wasn't the type you'd feel in romance movies. It wasn't something you'd feel in heart attacks either. It was as if a missing part of him suddenly woken up-- one that possessed an immense amount of mana. He hasn't felt this power for ages. His whole hand started to spark magic in anticipation of the presence. He couldn't quite recall what it was but...

Was it possible that the World Tree has been revived?

That was the only explanation he could think of. But it's impossible. The World Tree vanished decades ago when Aeterenitas was Emperor. It was engulfed by the Land of Shadows and banished. Aeterenitas buried the World Tree in order to become the strongest in the land.

"We have received news from the Knights!" Count Gray announced. A crowd gathered around the man in anticipation.

Lucas raised an eyebrow and flew near the people. He was currently disguised as a raven because Odette ordered him to take care of any aftershocks. There weren't any aftershocks.... yet. All the nobles that attended the Hunting Festival were safely evacuated to an emergency shelter near the Land of Shadows.

"Princess Odette has successfully eradicated the Core of the Shadows! The Emperor and the Prince are on their way to assist her."

The nobles clapped and chanted something along the lines of "Sunbearer" and "Savior" They cheered and celebrated inside the shelter. The extravagant shelter was filled with bountiful goods and an orchestra to celebrate. It was an afterparty for the success of the Princess.

Still, Lucas wasn't really reassured that it was already finished. He could easily eradicate the Land of Shadows quickly, but he can't. His powers weren't fully back.

"Sir," a Messenger called Count Gray. "we have also received news that there are a few aftershocks occurring outside of the shelter."

"What?"

Lucas knew it. It was impossible to eradicate the Land of Shadows without any consequences. It was too good to be true. No mission can be this successful.

"There is an ongoing earthquake outside, and a very loud thunderstorm," he explained to the Count. "Lucky for us, we are protected by one of the strongest mana barriers. No one can easily enter or escape the shelter."

"As it should be," Count Gray replied. "Nobles should be safe. We are, after all, the highest in society. We can't afford to have commoners enter our shelter."

Bullshit. Nobles still act the same, even from a hundred years ago. Lucas thought to himself. The class separation during Aeterenitas' reign was bad. Lower ranks were getting discriminated against by the higher-ups.

That's why Lucas decided to exit the shelter and check on the Land of Shadows himself. He had to stop the aftershocks and check on Odette, too.

----------

He saw the scene in front of him.

The Land of Shadows was now nothing but a bald land of soil. The darkness was no longer there, but the skies still had an ongoing storm. The sun was still nowhere to be seen but everything was back to normal, just like 200 years ago.

She did it. The Princess did it. His one and only student--- Odette.

Lucas had his fair share of students. They were mostly Princes that had a bright future ahead of them. He'd teach them how to cultivate their mana then send them off to Arlanta Academy. By the time they were back, they were already fit to become a capable ruler of their land.

Still, one thing about Lucas is that he's never picked his own students. Emperors usually appoint them to Lucas, leaving him no choice but to teach the royals. All of them were successful except for Aeterenitas.