Chapter 25: The Start of the Hunting Festival

Odette's POV

I wasn't quite sure how to feel as the Hunting Festival came to light. It is considered as a major highlight in Obelia's history because it celebrates sportsmanship and skills. Both men and women of nobility were entitled to join, but men mostly dominated the wins. However, this Hunting Festival is different.

This year, Anastasius appointed two days for the event itself. He also invited plenty of ambassadors from various nations. He did this because the Hunting Festival is also me and Roger's Engagement Party.

"In a few moments, we'll be giving our speech to the people. Are you ready?" Roger asked as he fixed his tie.

I nodded my head. We were currently in the Royal Tent near the Assembly stage for the Festival. Anastasius and Claude were in their separate but nearby tents. Roger only had to drop by and visit me before our Grand Entrance.

"Of course I am, Roger. Unlike you, I do not need to practice my lines a hundred times," I replied with a chuckle. "Why are you so nervous anyway?"

"Well, to start with... it is our Engagement Party. It'll be our first appearance as an engaged couple, Odette."

I shrugged. "Nothing's changed between us, so get rid of the awkward tension. Let's act all sweet around each other; isn't that what they want to see?"

"We'll need to announce the date of the wedding, Odette. Doesn't that frighten you?"

"It does, but..." I paused.

I do love Roger, I really do.

I love him as a friend, though. Like the way I'd love my bestest friend-- which is Lillian York. He's been there for me ever since we were just little kids. He gave me a sense of reassurance; that whenever I was with him, I'd be safe. And that's what I loved about him. Roger knew the risks of each scenario so we were always out of danger; he calculates every possible outcome in his mind and thinks of a solution to it.

He is, after all, Anastasius' Royal Adviser. I wouldn't expect less of him.

That is why Roger is still one of the most practical choices in terms of marriage. He comes from a noble family, he's smart and practical, he's sweet and even though he hates to admit it himself... he's popular with the ladies.

"But what?" he asked out of a sudden, making me snap out of my thoughts.

I held his hand reassuringly. "I've got it all figured out. So stop worrying, Roger!"

"I know it's extremely unlikely of me to get so nervous about things. It's just that.. this concerns the whole Empire. Everyone's watching."

"Oh, now you're making me nervous."

His eyes widened. "Sorry, Odette."

I laughed. God, Roger was always such a gullible person. I remember teasing him all the time, especially when we were young. It seems that nothing has changed.

"It was just a joke." I confessed and then intertwined hands with him. "I think you need to get some fresh air so that you can calm down."

"W-wait, we need to get ready!"

I pulled him to the exit. "Live a little, Roger. Let's go outside."