Chapter 18: Dancing With The Devil

The first dance has now ended. Odette stayed with Anastasius for a few moments, and she greeted her guests. They kept telling her how good she looked, and how she was the striking resemblance of her mother. It wasn't really the best compliment, but she'll just take it. They also told Anastasius how much he has grown into a fine young man.

"Any candidates for the Empress, Your Majesty?"

Anastasius chuckled. Odette, meanwhile, eyed him curiously. "I'm afraid none of the ladies have captured my attention," he confessed. "but I'll keep an eye out."

A few of the men then suggested their daughters and nieces. All in which Odette have already heard of, and have seen their unruly attitude when it came to tea parties. Sure, she may hate Anastasius but she only wanted the best for him. And that included picking a suitable wife for him.

"Whoever is interested in my brother will have to go through me," she said with an intimidating smile. "I expect the candidates to be the best, of course."

Anastasius nodded and held Odette by her shoulder. "Hopefully, in four years time, I will be able to find a suitable wife. Just in time for the 100th Hunting Expedition through the Land of Shadows."

There then came whispers from the audience. The said event only commenced during a hundred years, making it the most awaited of them all. The Emperor in charge would be the one leading the expedition and hopefully reduce the amount of monsters in the Land of Shadows.

"..... the Land of Shadows?" Odette questioned. She was a bit... unfamiliar to the term. But she's heard it a couple of times. "the one from the myths, Anastasius? Is that what you're talking about?"

"It is more than a myth, dear sister," he said with a smirk. "I'll explain more later. For now, please greet your other fellow debutantes."

The Princess still had more questions-- whatever Anastasius was talking about. However, she also needed to attend to other guests. "Very well."

Odette curtsied to the guests. They were very much pleased to have her presence, and they longed to talk to her more. So, she bid them goodbye. Anastasius grabbed her wrist softly and whispered to her ear.

"Remember the surprise, okay?" he whispered. "we'll be putting on a bit of a show."

----------

The night seem to drift by almost too quickly, Anastasius kept on entertaining guests and negotiating new deals with few nations. He hate to admit it but he was actually quite good with communicating with fellow delegates. it was one of his strengths as an Emperor. He was, however, a bit too weak at the aspect of financial aid. He hated math, even back in Arlanta Academy.

Lucky for him, he had Roger Alpheus by his side. Such as now, the pair of friends were talking about the debutante. They were an attractive duo-- with Roger's golden eyes and Anastasius' charm, the ladies seem to go to them in their own accord.

"... have you heard of the myth about the Sunbearer, Roger?" Anastasius asked out of a sudden.

Roger nodded slowly. "You mean the hero who will be able to successfully eradicate the Land of Shadows?" he asked. "then yes, yes I have."

"Tell me, how will her powers come to be?"

The question made Roger pause. "Her? Who are you talking about?"

Shit, Anastasius thought. He accidentally slipped. "It's nothing.  Just tell me about the story about the Cursed Emperor. What was his name again?"

"Aeterenitas? He was the one responsible for the Land of Shadows, Anastasius." Roger reminded him. "this is but a simple history lesson. Don't you remember?"