Chapter 13: Set, Stars. At Dawn, I Will Win

It has been half a year after the death of both the Emperor and Empress. Now, the current Emperor, Anastasius, has appointed new officials for his cabinet. 

They were competent and reliable in each of their duties. It was surprising for such a young Emperor to know which people to pick. He was surprisingly doing a good job, too. 

There was no denying that Anastasius excelled in his duties. However, it felt like being an Emperor was his whole life now. He didn't even come out of his office for meals. 

It concerned Odette, and even Claude. 

So, they arranged a meeting with Anastasius. They scheduled a Family Dinner at Main Palace, where Anastasius resided at. They were now currently at the banquet hall. It was excessively decorated with different ornaments and the like.

Anastasius sat at the middle of the table. He was dressed in Obelia's National Uniform, one similar to what his father always wore. 

He didn't even look stressed. Anastasius looked calm and composed; as if he wasn't busy these past few days. 

"How have you been these past few days, Anastasius?" Odette asked.

"I have been doing fine, dear sister," he reassured with a smile. "there is no need to worry."

"Perhaps you need some help?" she suggested. "I am available anytime. You also need to rest."

He ignored the statement and chuckled. Odette was still the same; innocent and naive. If she wasn't present, Claude and him would argue non-stop. But for Odette's sake, they needed to put a facade.

"You do not need to meddle in such affairs. It is almost your debutante--- less than a month, I believe." he reminded. "you need to focus on that."

Claude then cleared his throat. He stopped eating, causing both Anastasius and Odette to look at him.

"Regarding Odette's debutante, who will be her escort?" the 12 year old asked eagerly.

There was silence that surrounded the three siblings for a minute or two. Odette gulped nervously. She had an idea about an escort, but she wasn't sure if it'd be fine.

"About that..." she started with a nervous laugh. "I already have someone in mind, actually."

Anastasius raised an eyebrow. He placed down his fork and looked at Odette. 

"And who might that be, hm?"

Claude leaned forward in his seat with a confident aura. "I think it's obvious who."

"Really?" Odette asked. "I think it'll be unexpected."

"Just tell us who, sister." the eldest replied. 

Odette looked at both of her brothers with a shy smile on her face. 

"I don't plan on having an escort."

"Pardon?" "What did she say--"

"I said, I'm not going to have an escort." 

Claude stood up from his seat. "Is that even allowed?"

"No princess has done that, Odette. I believe it is fit for you to find an escort." Anastasius informed. Claude nodded in agreement.

"Yeah!" the 12 year old exclaimed. "Why not me? Most princesses have a family member as their escort."

"You're too young, Claude. Sit down." the 16 year old replied. "and it doesn't have to be a family member. Anyone can be your escort, but you can't go alone."