Chapter 11: A Night You'll Never Forget

"You look splendid, Anastasius!" 

The eldest prince groaned at the Empress' comment. His mother acted like he was still a kid. Anastasius hated it. The old woman needed to take care of Claude, not him. Claude was the one that needed this.

"Thank you, Mother. You look gorgeous."

"I know.  Who else blessed you such heavenly genes?"

"The genes are thanks to me."

Anastasius and the Empress turned their heads around. The Emperor stood tall behind them. He was wearing the national and custom made Obelian attire. It made him look handsome, as if he was the star of the night.

Still, Anastasius couldn't deny how his father looked ill. 

"I thought you'd enter last, sweetheart?" the Empress asked in a confused tone.

"I will enter last, while you escort Anastasius," he replied. "I just wanted to see my son one last time."

Anastasius gulped. 

"Don't word it like that, father," he placed a hand on the Emperor's shoulder. "I will still remain the same. And so do you."

He could hear the Emperor sigh.

"You truly are fit to become the Emperor. You are now ready, Anastasius. I know it."

"Father, I do not wish--"

"You know what I mean, Anastasius."

The eldest prince bit his lip. This was his mother's plan all along. She wanted to kill her own husband, and use Anastasius as her puppet. And it was going down succesfully.

".... Of course, Father."

He wasn't ready. He was anything close to ready. Sure, Anastasius had a plan with Aeterenitas. But.. what if he lost control? What if Aeterenitas took over? Who was going to be the last string that he'd clung unto?

"When the time is right, dear." The Empress said. "now is not the time to think such things, we have a ball to catch!"

That was when they heard the trumpets play. It was the sign that the ball has already started.

----------

"Let us welcome, the Royal Family!" the host announced.

All guests paused at their current state. The ballroom was filled with ambassadors, nobles, mages, scholars, and everyone else in between. The ladies were dressed in their most frilly dresses, and their faces were caked with make-up. The men were wearing their most expensive suit, and tried to charm every lady. 

It was, of course, a party that would make history.

Ever since the eldest prince, Anastasius, left for Arlanta Academy, the Royal Family stopped holding events. The reason was unknown, but no one really cared to know. Because they simply wanted to see the current state of the family.

Sure, they have seen Prince Anastasius. But Princess Odette and Prince Claude? This was their first time appearing in high society after four years. 

"Now entering, Princess Odette and Prince Claude de Alger Obelia!"

The doors opened, and everyone caught sight of the two Royals.

Odette locked her arms with Claude's. She wore a simple white gown, and her golden locks perfectly descended down her back. Claude wore something similar, a white suit that was custom-made for him. 

Claude was slowly growing now. Around 5'5 or so, Odette still remained at her height at 5'3. It made Claude look older than Odette.

Everyone stared in awe. "The second Prince has grown into a handsome young man."