Chapter 1: A Nightmare's Vision

"Annabeth, where is Claude?"

Annabeth Robane paused her chores as she heard the question. She gave the young princess a smile.

Odette was now seven years old and looked beautiful as ever. There was no denying that Odette inherited her mother's goddess-like features. The only difference was Odette's blonde hair and cerulean eyes, which came from the Emperor himself. However, what topped it all off was the princess' charming personality. She earned everyone's hearts. And, throughout the years, she came to be known as the 'People's Princess.'

Annabeth crouched down to Odette's height. "He is having his afternoon nap, Princess. Would you like to visit him?"

Odette nodded. "Yes please," she paused and bit her lip. She was hesitant to bring up the topic but she couldn't help but be concerned for Claude. "Also.... uhm, Annabeth?"

The head maid stood up and held hands with the princess. Annabeth led Odette to Claude's room slowly. "Is there something you want to say, Princess?"

"..... yes, actually...." the seven-year old sighed loudly. "It's about Claude."

Annabeth nodded slowly. She heard the tone of concern and worry in Odette's voice. She knew well enough that the young princess was a very much caring sister to the youngest prince. Odette was always the one who checked up on him. Not even the Emperor frequently went to see Claude, nor even anyone from the Royal Family. Annabeth expected Anastasius to at least visit Claude, but no luck. It was only Odette.

Odette was the one who comforted Claude. She was the one who taught him how to read. She was the one who helped him speak. Everything she did for Claude. Even if they only had a two-age gap, it felt as if Odette took care of Claude like a guardian. It seems as if the princess truly cherished Claude more than anything.

"What is the matter, princess?"

There was a bit of a silence between the two. However, Odette cleared her throat.

"Does Claude still have nightmares when he sleeps?"

They were now in front of the door to Claude's room. Annabeth paused, turning to look at Odette. She nodded with a sad smile on her face.

"I'm afraid so," Annabeth replied. "it seems that he's been having the same nightmares lately."

Odette raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"He always wakes up and screams 'Please wake up! Don't leave me.'" Annabeth copied Claude's pleas. And Annabeth was really concerned for the prince too. He's been having these dreams. Annabeth tried her best to soothe him, but it didn't work.

Lately, Claude has been having trouble sleeping. Annabeth noticed this, the butlers noticed this--- heck, everyone in the Palace did. And it was concerning, to say the least. Because every time the prince woke up from his dream, he woke up crying. Then, he kept on muttering "It should've been me, not her..." "I should've saved her."

Of course, Annabeth didn't say that part. She didn't want the princess to get more worried about the prince.

"... why do you think Claude keeps saying that?" Odette sounded nervous and a bit curious. Her seven-year old brain couldn't handle such information.

Annabeth simply sighed. She reached to open the bedroom doors. "I think it's because of his mother, princess."

"Is that so?" Odette frowned.

She remembered seeing Claude's mother before, back in the Ruby Palace. Claude's mother was such a strong and vibrant woman. Odette met her by accident in the gardens of the Ruby Palace. The young princess was only two years old at the time. And Claude's mother, (Odette forgot what her name was) looked like an angel. She acted like one too.