Chapter 30: It's Worth A Try, Isn't It?

It has been a week

It has been a week.

A week since Odette has eradicated the Land of Shadows.

A week since she last woke up.

The Empire still continued to function, though. There were quite a handful of damages that Odette's power brought, but it was all worth it. Obelia was, once again, safe from dark magic. Almost everyone was content with the situation except...

"Prince Claude?" a voice called out. "I have brought your meal. Please eat."

The young prince turned around from his seat and saw Annabeth Robane, his Head Maid. And Felix's mother.

"Just leave it by the bedside, Annabeth. Thank you."

Annabeth Robane sighed. She sat beside Claude and stared at Odette's sleeping figure. They were in the Princess' room right now. No one else stayed by Odette's side except Claude. He always sat beside her bed and talked to her, hoping that she'd answer back. He even slept on the couch and never left.

"Please take care of yourself too, Your Highness. I haven't seen you like this since..."

Since your mother died, she wanted to say out loud

Claude shook his head, fighting the urge to tear up. Just the memory of his mother broke his heart. But he refused to think about her. He needed to stay strong and hopeful. For Odette.

"I'll be fine, and Odette will be too," he reassured Annabeth. "Can you check on Felix for me?"

She bit her lip. "He is awake now, but still needs to rest."

There was a bit of silence between the two. Annabeth just wanted to help Claude. He's like her second son, after all. She has been taking care of him ever since he was born. The least she can do is try to cheer him up.

So, she hugged Claude softly. "The Princess is a fighter. She will be back soon, Your Highness."

That's when Claude realized that he has been bottling up all his emotions. His sadness took over his brain and tears started falling from his eyes. He wrapped his arms around Annabeth and sobbed.