Chapter 12: The Emperor's Last Words

Odette slowly opened the door to the Emperor's chambers.

Her father, the Emp- I mean, the Previous Emperor was sleeping peacefully. He has been in a coma for a week. He didn't even say a word throughout the days.

But Odette hoped that he'd at least move an inch. Because she could feel it.

She could feel that her father was moments away from death. The Emperor was too weak to even move, let alone speak up.

"Father?"

The Princess approached his bed ever so carefully. The windows were beside the chair, giving her a full view of the night. It was around early morning or so, and everyone in the Palace was asleep.

"Please, father, say something." she whispered. "The Empire deeply misses you."

Tears were slowly forming in her eyes. She held his cold hands. It felt dull.

"I miss you so much."

Her father looked young a week ago. But now? He got thinner, even weaker. And it broke Odette's heart seeing him like this.

She just sat there and sobbed quietly. Her head was a mess. Anastasius was fit to become Emperor, but he was far from being a mature one. How could a 16 year old manage a whole Empire?

"Just... just one word, please."

It was standstill silence.

Until Odette felt a few movements from the Emperor. His hand moved lightly.

She immediately sat up. The Emperor opened his eyes, and Odette smiled.

"Father!"

The Emperor smiled weakly.

"Odette, my princess." he said, but quickly coughed after.

The Princess hugged him.

"I missed you."

"Me too, sweetie. Me too."

"Do you need some medicine? Perhaps I should call for the doctor, or maybe--"

The Emperor shook his head.

"There is no need. I do not desire to be healed."

"..... what? Father, I must inform the doctors! They can help you--"

"No, Odette. I want you to-- ugh!" he coughed. "I want you to listen to me."

Odette gulped. "What is it?"

It was silent for a few moments or so. It seems that the Emperor was catching his breath.

"Just simply grant me this one wish."

"Of course."

The Emperor whispered his last wish to Odette. After that, he pulled away. Meanwhile, Odette was confused.

"Of all things, why would you wish for that?"

The Emperor closed an eye.

"For the future of the Empire, Odette."

"And it involves me because...?"

"You are the true Sun of the Empire, the one that balances all."

She backed away, confused as ever. "Huh?"

"You will bring forth peace to the Empire, my sweetest daughter." he smiled sadly. "so, please do it."

Odette bit her lip. She wasn't quite sure what it meant but...

"Yes, Father. If that is your wish."