Chapter 27: A Second Too Late

(a/n: a few pics to capture the scenes for today's chapter)

Much to Claude's dismay, Anastasius and him were forced to stay together during the first day of the Hunting Festival. The brothers were currently in the Evermore Forest with a few more nobles. It was obvious that Claude would be the center of attention because this was his first time appearing in the noble society after four years.

"My brother's 16th Birthday is next week. Everyone is invited, of course." Anastasius declared with a fake yet seemingly real smile on his face. "Right, Claude?"

The young teen adjusted his red cufflinks. He needed to pretend that his relationship with Anastasius was fine (even if it clearly wasn't)

"Yes, and I expect that the event itself will be grand as ever," he reassured the nobles.

As they continued their quest, the nobles kept on talking about Claude's party and what they were expecting. Grand decorations, top-class music, and everything else in between. Claude couldn't even care less about their topics. He just nodded and laughed like an ignorant noble.

"Will you be announcing your Engagement Party with Lady Penelope Judith on your birthday, Your Highness?"

No, I plan on breaking up with her.

Claude wanted to say that out loud. But he can't.

"I will still have to ask for her thoughts regarding our announcement, but that sounds like a brilliant plan." he straight up lied to the noble.

"As much as I hate to say it but I disagree, Claude." Anastasius interrupted. 

"Your birthday is in line with your Coronation as Crown Prince. Announcing your engagement should be something separately done."

"Crown Prince?" Claude questioned. "We're still pushing that through? Isn't Odette supposed to become Princess Royal instead?"

Princess Royals were accounted for the eldest daughters in the Royal Family. Odette was supposed to have her coronation first before Claude's. That was the original plan.

"Regardless of your birth order, Princes do have a higher rank than a Princess." a noble informed. "which means that you, Prince Claude, will still be second in line to the throne."

"Huh?" he muttered to himself. "Aren't we supposed to be a progressive Empire?"

Anastasius stopped walking. "Pardon?"

The nobles whispered amongst themselves. Most o them were part of Anastasius' Royal Council Members. It meant that most of them there were the highest and most eligible nobles in all of the Empire. They had the knowledge and money to be part of the Emperor's Council.

But Prince Claude, the second in line for the throne, was questioning their tradition. If Anastasisus was a conservative Royal who valued traditions and protocol, Claude was the complete opposite. He opened room for discussion, change, and progress.

"We are, Your Highness. Princess Odette has been the main reason for this." Duke Roger Alpheus informed.

Claude didn't really like Roger but he couldn't deny that the man had a bit of similarity to him. The duke also believed in progress over tradition-- the Empire needed to change to adapt to the new generations is what he always said to Council Meetings.