Chapter 27

I was wringing my hands nervously when the phone rang and startled me.

"Hi."

"Hi, yourself. Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I- um, I hope what I'm wearing is okay. I've never been to such a fancy event."

"I'm sure whatever it is looks amazing on you." Her tone was genuine and I felt myself blush. "I'll be there soon."

I tried not to pace as I waited for her. I turned in front of the mirror again, still questioning the strapless cobalt blue dress that was like a second skin. My fingers fidgeted with the delicate gold necklace that fell just above my bust line where my push up bra was hard at work. My hair lay softly over my bare shoulders and I'd done my makeup a little more dramatic than usual.

I was in the kitchen sipping some water when I heard her knock. Rushing to the door and opening it slowly, I let my eyes travel up and down her body. She looked so damn beautiful. Her thick blonde hair was swept up, revealing her slender neck. Under her coat, I could see the halter-cut black dress that was clinging to her curves.

"Wow," she let out a slow breath, stepping towards me.

"Wow, yourself." I leaned up and kissed her softly.

"Come on," she tugged on my hand. "I want to celebrate, drink and kiss the most beautiful girl in the world at midnight."

With a small laugh, I threw my coat on and followed her to her car where she opened the door for me. Our excitement during the drive was palpable and it made me forget why I'd been so apprehensive about the party. I kept stealing glances at her. I thought about the day when I'd rushed to her to tell her all of the words that constantly filled my head when I was around her. I'd learned so much about her that day, but those words remained locked away. I gazed at her profile while she drove and I wanted nothing more than to tell her, but every time the words sat on the tip of my tongue, I chickened out.

She must have felt my eyes on her because at the next red light, she met my gaze. Her eyes were sparkling in the glow of the streetlights. "I wish I knew the things you think about when you get so quiet and look at me like that."

"I- umm, I was just thinking of you.. of us." I stumbled though my words.

Just tell her!

"What about us?" Her voice was soft as the light turned green and she turned her attention back to the road.

My heart was fluttering in my chest and I reached for her hand. Lacing our fingers together, I gently rubbed my thumb across her knuckles.

"Well, I've been thinking-"

Her phone rang, interrupting me.

Is that a sign? Maybe I shouldn't tell her after all. Of course you should tell her. Or maybe it's just not the right time. But is there ever a right time?

She winced and mumbled "Sorry" as she loosened her hand from mine to reach for it, silencing it quickly. Before she could reach for my hand again, it was ringing. She quickly silenced it one more time looking very annoyed.

"It might be important," I offered.

"I want to know what you've been thinking."

Then it rang a third time.

"For fuck's sake!"

She gripped her hand on the wheel, before reaching for the touch screen, effectively hooking up the bluetooth. The name on the screen appeared instantly.

Incoming call: Lu

"Hello?" Her tone sounded slightly annoyed and it made my lips curl into a small smile.