Chapter 6

"Is there anything else I can get for you guys?" the bubbly waitress flashed another smile our way.

I was left wondering.. and thinking about the conversation we'd just had. Maybe I was reading into it too much.

"I think we're good, thanks." Cameron looked as casual as we had when we'd first come in. "Moment of truth.. ready to tackle these burgers?"

"Yup," I shook my head to clear it. I was really hungry. I figured I might as well enjoy my first real meal in days. As we dug in, everything was just as delicious as she said it would be. I found myself enjoying not only the food, but also the warm atmosphere and Cameron's witty banter. I was laughing and joking, feeling more carefree than I'd felt in a long time.

I studied the way her eyes became animated when she talked. Her voice was velvety smooth and extremely attractive.

You are in deep, my friend.

I found it hard to concentrate as we finished our dinner, often bumping hands while reaching for fries, trying not to get caught staring at her and keeping myself from stumbling over my words.

"Thanks for bringing me here. I loved it."

"I was hoping you would." She motioned our waitress over. "We're all set here, everything was great."

I turned to reach for my purse and Cameron's hand quickly covered my own. Her touch sent a tiny shock through me as her hand lingered there.

"It's my treat."

I simply nodded and wished her touch had lasted more than a couple seconds.

Back inside her car, I glanced at my phone. When I saw the message, I couldn't help but smile.

So excited to see you tomorrow. Love you Mama!

"Good news?" Cameron asked.

"Always is when it's Eliza." I sent a quick message back. "I'll be seeing her tomorrow and she'll spend the weekend with me. I've been looking forward to it since the last time she was here."

"It sounds like you guys have a special relationship."

"We do.." I said softly.

"I'm not surprised," she said as she started the car. The way she said it was so matter-of-fact and it brought a warmth to my chest that was unexpected. "I know we indulged a bit tonight, but what's a good meal without dessert? Are you up for some gelato?"

I never turned down a good dessert. "That sounds great."

***

Gelato in hand, we walked side by side down the street, past brightly lit boutiques, cafes and shops.

"So, you're 2/2 in the food department. A skill?" I shot a look her way.

"One of many.." She didn't look at me, but I could see a twitch at the corners of her smile.

I'm sure she's very skilled..

I was glad one of her skills wasn't mind reading. I let out a small shiver. My thoughts, added with the chill of the night air, had caused a ripple of goosebumps across my arms.

"You're cold." It was more a statement than a question and before I knew it, she'd slipped her sleek leather jacket off and was offering it to me.

"Thank you," I replied trying to put it on while juggling my gelato.

She let out a small laugh and helped me. When it was around my shoulders, her scent enveloped me.

"Better?" Her low tone caught my attention and I had to calm my fluttering heart.