Chapter 35

My legs threatened to give out from under me and every sound around me was magnified. The sound of my breathing, the hum of my computer and the hiss of the heating vent on the floor.

Everyone always thinks about how they would react to a situation. They speculate what they would do, what mistakes they would avoid and what the right thing would be. The thoughts raced through my head, but I was paralyzed. Frozen to the spot, unable to move. I couldn't tear my eyes away from my phone, but my fingers didn't move to respond.

Though I already had the confirmation I needed, my brain couldn't comprehend that the man I'd called Mr. Flynn was pretending to be someone he wasn't. The sweet client that I had booked for today had told me that her name was Alyssa Crew. She had booked the session for her and her fiancée. I remembered the phone call and the details of the form she had filled out. His name was David and she'd never told me his last name.

I'd addressed the man in my studio as Mr. Flynn and he never corrected me. Thinking of his voice sent a shiver down my spine and my body kicked into overdrive.

I spun around quickly and as quietly as I could, I locked my office door and pushed my body to the back wall, sliding down into a sitting position behind the desk. My hands trembled so much that I nearly dropped my phone twice before I was able to bring it up to my ear. Tears sprang to my eyes when her voicemail message came on.

"Fuck," I whispered softly as it beeped. "Cameron, please please pick up, please. I think something is happening and I'm scared and I really need you to pick up your phone.. Please. I-"

"Miss Taylor?" His voice echoed through the hall, sounding slightly muffled through my locked door.

I could hear his footsteps as he walked around the studio and I tried concentrating on my breathing that had become erratic.

"Miss Taylor?" His voice no longer had a fake sweetness. It sounded slightly angry.

I heard the bell go off and didn't know how to feel. It was either an actual client and maybe it would all just go away or it could be someone that was with him. I walked slowly to the office door and pressed my ear to it, listening intently. I could hear his footsteps move towards the front door of the studio, where I could faintly hear him talking to someone. I glanced at my silent phone and debated calling the police.

Before I could make up my mind, the voices got closer and louder.

"She got spooked for some reason, okay? She's probably already called the cops, so I suggest we get the fuck out of here."

The female voice that responded snapped back in a low tone. "I call the fucking shots here. I told you to give her a good scare and you can't even fucking do that right. She's not going to call the cops, she probably called her little knight in shining armor. So, do what I'm paying you to do or you won't see a penny, you witless asshole."

I clamped my hand over my mouth and the bell went off again. His footsteps echoed down the hallway, coming closer to my office. I backed up quickly, hitting my hip on the edge of the desk. I bit my bottom lip against the pain and then there was a knock.

"Miss Taylor? I'd really like to start our session." He knocked again, more insistently.

"Please leave." My voice came out cracked and not much louder than a whisper.

He jiggled the doorknob and I pressed my back harder to the wall.

"My fiancée paid you for our session and you owe us your services." He turned the knob again more forcefully.

"Please leave." I said again, this time louder.

"I want you to do your job.." his voice started low and then before I could process it, he had slammed into the door, causing it to splinter.