Chapter 13

We had only attempted to move off the couch once we were both ravenous. I'd spent time exploring every inch of her like I'd thought about. I couldn't get enough.

I started to get dressed and she grabbed my wrist, tugging me back to her. She stroked her hand over my hair and down my back.

"I need water! And a snack.." I whined. "Besides you.." I shot her a teasing look.

"Stay." Her eyes traveled over my face, suddenly looking serious.

"I'll be right back. Can I at least grab us drinks?"

"No.. I mean stay. Here with me."

"Stay here?" I stroked a hand over her cheek.

"Yes. Spend the night. Stay with me." She was looking at me in a way that almost made my heart ache.

"Okay.." I leaned down to press a kiss to her lips. "Now can we have snacks?"

She laughed and sat up next to me. "Come on, I'll find you something comfortable."

I padded after her towards what I assumed would be her bedroom, feeling slightly self-conscious to be walking through her apartment in just my underwear. Then again, she was still completely naked and I certainly wasn't complaining. I got to watch her. To touch her if I wanted. Just the thought of it made me bite my lip in a smile.

I thought about how she hadn't been in my life very long. The first time I'd seen her felt like a lifetime ago. So much had happened in such a small amount of time. If I considered all the details, it was slightly overwhelming, but I didn't want to do that. I wanted to take it one day at a time.

I watched the lines of her body as she grabbed some things from her drawers. She handed me one of the bundles and pointed out her bathroom. I looked at her one more time over my shoulder as she walked out of the room.

When I pulled the oversized sweatshirt with her college logo over my head that smelled just like her, I couldn't help but smile at my reflection. If I wasn't standing in her bathroom, wrapped up in everything that was her, I wouldn't have believed that the night had been real.

I found her sitting in bed with a snack tray. I let out a small laugh as she handed me a bottle of water.

"I love apples and peanut butter."

"Me too." She held out a bite for me.

***

I opened my eyes the next morning hesitantly, like I didn't want to wake from the best dream I'd ever had. With the sunlight across my face making it impossible to keep them closed, I finally blinked them open. She was laying next to me and my breath caught. The sunlight was giving her hair a fiery golden glow and her chest was falling and rising in a slow, ready rhythm. With her hands tucked under her head, she looked so peaceful. There was a rosy tint to her cheeks and her lips were slightly parted. She was so beautiful and emotion coiled deep in my stomach.

Without disturbing her, I climbed out of the warm bed reluctantly. Not wanting to rifle through her medicine cabinet, I gave my teeth a finger brush and washed my face. I made my way carefully and quietly through the loft. Everything was beautiful, but I didn't see very many personal touches. There was beautiful artwork, but no framed photographs of family or friends. I felt like I was invading her personal space when I ran my fingertips over the books filling her shelves. Law books, literature classics, some poetry.

She doesn't read a trashy romance novel every once in a while?

Then I noticed a lower shelf on one of the bookcases that held some cookbooks. They looked well-loved and made me smile. I made my way over to the kitchen where I felt slightly intimidated by the shiny surfaces and the stainless steel. Trying to be quiet, so I wouldn't wake her, I found everything I needed.