Chapter 7

I spent the next day catching up on work. Editing, placing client orders and updating my website took a large part of my time. When I placed the order for the Russells, I glanced at the jacket hanging by my front door. I hadn't heard from her since the night before. I'd been tempted to send her a quick text, but decided against it.

With the clock ticking away the minutes, I ate a quick dinner. I checked my phone often, but knew it was unlike Whitney to give any updates. In the middle of starting a load of laundry, there was a knock on the door.

"Coming!" I yelled, rushing to see my favorite person in the world.

I threw open the door and my eyes widened in surprise.

"Cameron."

She was standing there in a pinstripe pantsuit. Her hair was pinned back and she looked like a fierce Amazon businesswoman.

"I'm so sorry to show up unannounced. I left work and then I was here, and-" she rambled.

I couldn't help but smile. "It's okay. Come in."

"I don't want to disturb your time with your daughter, but I really wanted to apologize in person."

"She's actually not here yet." I furrowed my brow because it was already pretty late and she should have been.

Cameron stepped towards me. "I'm sorry for how I acted last night.. at my office. I had a wonderful time last night and I feel like I ruined that."

As she finished speaking, I took one of her hands in mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze. It felt natural and brought a bright smile to her face. Her shoulders seemed to relax and she squeezed back. I turned slightly and before I said anything, I heard a car door slam.

Eliza..

I slowly slipped my hand out of hers and stepped towards the front door. Eliza was running up the walkway, backpack bouncing behind her and her beloved stuffed rabbit in her arms.

"Mama!" she exclaimed as she threw herself into my arms, almost knocking me backwards.

"Hi, Bug! Oh, I missed you so much." I gave her a tight squeeze and planted a kiss at the top of her head.

Whitney had joined us in the doorway. She glanced past me at Cameron and narrowed her eyes.

"Are we interrupting something?" She shot a look and a slight sneer in Cameron's direction before turning her attention to me.

"No," I stated simply. "I've been waiting for you guys for a while," I emphasized. "Whitney, this is Cameron. Cameron, this is Whitney.. and this pretty lady is Eliza." I ruffled her hair causally, but inside I was a mess.

"I was just on my way out." Cameron stepped around us. "It was nice to meet you, Eliza." She smiled warmly at her before heading out the door. She held her head high as she walked past Whitney. "You, as well."

"Hmm, likewise," Whitney quipped.

"Wow," Eliza breathed out in awe. "She looks like a movie star."

Whitney scoffed and handed me Eliza's overnight bag. "I'll be back by noon on Sunday. She has a book review due on Monday."

"Why don't you go put all your stuff in your room?" I tapped Eliza's nose. She ran inside and I turned my attention to Whitney.

"I'd like for her to stay longer on Sunday."

"You know she has school the next day. I have to get her home to shower, have dinner and in bed on time." She crossed her arms.

"Yes, I'm aware. I'm not asking for her to stay past dinner. Just a couple more hours would be great. Let's say three."