Chapter 14

The next time Whitney knocked on my door to drop off Eliza, she looked very serious. I invited them in, Eliza running off to her room the second she was in the door. Whitney stood uncomfortably by the couch with her arms crossed.

"She has some math to finish and I have to grab her at noon on Sunday so we can go to a late lunch at Matt and Lisa's."

"Okay." I knew Eliza would be happy to spend time at her Uncle Matt's. He was the oldest of Whitney's brothers and Eliza loved her cousins. He was big and rugged, with a bushy beard and a great sense of humor. We had gotten along well, spending time together often. "How are Ava and Gracie?"

"Good," she replied curtly.

"I bet they're getting big.." I hated small talk, but these were all people that had been a part of my life not too long ago.

"They are. Ava just got braces last week." her expression softened a bit. "Ren, I have to talk to you about something."

"Sure.. what is it?" I gestured towards the couch.

She sat opposite of me, perched as if she didn't expect to stay long at all. "We're going to Nick's for Thanksgiving next week. He.. extended an invitation if you'd like to join us." Her voice sounded strained and I thought it was probably why she was acting so strange. I had no intention of accepting. I found it unusual that I would be invited when I had no other contact with her family since we'd divorced. Of all of her brothers, Nick wasn't one I had known very well. He was often away on business and had no children.

"Tell him thank you, but I'll pass."

"Do you have plans?" She glanced at her watch and avoided my gaze.

"Um, no. I don't. I was just going to order something and watch some movies." I was confused about why she cared. "Why did Nick invite me?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I don't know, Ren." She started to stand. "I'll see you Sunday."

I didn't have the time or energy to try to figure out what was going on or what Whitney was thinking. "Fine. I'll see you Sunday. I'll let Eliza know you're lea-"

She spun around quickly cutting me off. "Are you seeing someone?"

I took a step backward, completely caught off-guard. A million thoughts ran through my head. Everything in me told me to say no. To deny it, to act like she was being ridiculous. Another part of me told me to just be honest. As the seconds that felt like hours ticked away with Whitney's dark brown eyes clashing with my hazel ones, I finally responded.

"What?"

Really, Ren? That's what took you so long to come up with?

"Are you seeing someone?" She emphasized and tried to look disinterested.

"I.. I am. H-"

"Maybe next time try not to be at your "friend's" house while video chatting Eliza." Her eyes shot daggers at me before she quickly walked to the door and pulled it open. "Bye Eliza," she yelled out before slamming it shut behind her.

I stood there, stunned. I wasn't exactly sure how to feel. Eliza walked into the living room looking slightly confused.

"Mom left already?" Her eyebrows furrowed just like her mom's often did.

"Um, yeah. She had to go pretty quick. She.. got a call."

"Oh. Okay. Can we go somewhere, Mama?"

***

Going out somewhere.. anywhere was the perfect excuse to clear my head, occupy Eliza and try to figure out what the hell had just happened.

We ended up at our local bookstore café, one of our favorite places. Eliza curled up in her usual chair in the tween corner with a cup of hot chocolate and a graphic novel she'd been begging me for. I supervised closely from a safe distance with my own cup. I would have preferred it had been filled with something a little stronger, but coffee would have to do.