Chapter 30

I kicked my shoes off and collapsed on the couch, completely exhausted. The past month had been kicking my butt. I'd had back to back studio sessions. The new year had brought an onslaught of new clients and while I was glad for it, it also meant long hours, endless editing and very limited time with Cameron.

I brought my phone up to my ear like every other night, ready to hear her soothing voice.

"Hey, babe." She sounded worn out.

"I miss you. Are you still at the office?"

"I miss you too, and yeah, I'm drowning in paperwork for this case. I sent everyone else home about an hour ago."

"You work too hard." I stretched out, letting my eyes close briefly.

"So do you," she teased back. "How many sessions did you have today?"

"Five," I groaned out. "I'm so tired that I'm stretched out on the couch with no intentions of moving any time soon."

"The couch sounds so good right now. I'm super hungry too.. I think I'm going to pack up. Have you eaten? I can grab some Thai."

"That sounds amazing. I might be in the exact same position when you get here."

She laughed and it brought a smile to my lips. "I'll see you soon."

I knew that if I stayed on the couch, I'd fall asleep, so I got up reluctantly. The house was dark and quiet, so I turned on a lamp before walking slowly to my bathroom.

The hot water soothed my sore muscles and gave me a small boost of energy. I stood in the spray, letting go of everything and clearing my mind. Surrounded by steam until the water gradually started cooling, I felt refreshed and definitely ready for some food.

Things with Whitney had been going smoothly. In fact, she'd been extremely quiet lately, only communicating what was needed during exchanges. While I found it weird, I was also thankful for it. It made things so much easier. Not only for both of us, but for Eliza. My freckle-face had started to develop her own relationship with Cameron and it was something that warmed my heart.

I smiled at the drawing they had worked on together that was displayed on the fridge while I grabbed some water. I was taking a sip when I heard the sound of a car in the driveway. I glanced at the time on the microwave, thinking I hadn't been in the shower that long. As I walked to the living room, headlights illuminated the space and just before I walked past the couch, my phone buzzed on the coffee table. I glanced at it, seeing Cameron's name on the screen. With a furrowed brow, I answered quickly.

"Hey, why are you c-"

"Hope you're hungry because I went a little crazy ordering. I just picked everything up and it smells so good in the car."

"Huh?" I flicked on the light and then heard the car backing out. "That's weird.." I muttered under my breath, peeking out of the window to see the dark sedan leaving slowly.

"Earth to Ren? What are you muttering about?"

"Oh, sorry. I thought you were here already because there was a car in the driveway, but obviously you're not.. and I just watched the car drive away."

"I'm trying to hurry but I'm definitely not that fast. It was probably someone just turning around."

"Probably." My stomach growled. "And I'm definitely hungry and ready for all the delicious stuff you're bringing."

"Find us a movie. Be there soon."

***

One hand ran through her hair as the credits rolled on the screen and the other was tracing softly over her arm. She let out a long sigh and shifted her body, turning to look up at me.