Chapter 28

It wasn't very long that I sat in front of that fireplace before I felt someone behind me. Her sweet scent reached me first and I let my eyes drift her way.

"Hi," she said softly.

"Hey."

"I was looking for you." She took a seat in the chair next to mine.

"I just needed to get out of there and you were in the middle of a conversation." I wrapped my arms around myself.

"What did she say to you?"

"What do you mean?"

She scooted her chair closer to me, stroking my cheek and tilting my face to hers. "I know you," she said simply, her eyes searching mine. "I didn't and couldn't believe a word she said. When I couldn't find you, I realized that she must have said something to you."

"I- she just-" My eyes skipped away. "It's nothing, really." I flashed her a weak smile. "We can just enjoy the rest of the night."

She tipped my face towards her again and I couldn't escape her intense gaze. "I reconnected with her after nine years because there's a part of me that will never forget Vivian. She looks a lot like her, but she isn't anything like her and she never was.. Ren, I don't know her. Even then, we only spent very limited amounts of time around each other." She paused and shook her head slightly. "I know you didn't ask for this explanation, but I have a feeling she's made it seem otherwise. Am I right?"

"So you weren't completely oblivious to her overt flirting?"

"I was just really hoping I was wrong. She seemed innocent enough when she reached out and then.."

"Then I came over that day." It was starting to make more sense to me. "I don't think she counted on you being in a relationship."

"She wrongly assumed." Her thumb stroked over my cheek. "She wasn't the reason I told you about Vivian.. I mean, in a way she kind of was, but it had nothing to do with her. It's something I don't share openly with just anyone, and only those closest to me even know. I've been wanting to talk to you for a while, but-"

"But I've been so wrapped up in all of my own issues.." I suddenly felt horrible for being so concerned with my own life and feelings.

"I told you because I trust you completely. Part of being in a relationship is sharing everything. Good, bad, messy; I think at this point in our lives we're both aware of that, right?"

Cameron. My calm in the storm.

"Right." I placed my hand over hers on my cheek and pressed my face to it. "I'm still amazed by how you manage to do that."

"Do what?" She leaned in closer.

"You make everything make sense." I closed the distance and brushed my lips across hers.

"Maybe it's all the extra years of experience." She joked.

I laughed and gave her another soft kiss. "I guess you have a lot to teach me."

"You have no idea," she whispered in a sultry tone and I felt it in the pit of my stomach. The lobby suddenly felt extremely warm. "Let's get back in there while I still have a tiny bit of restraint."

The heat rose to my cheeks as she pulled me to my feet. I slipped my heels back on and she grabbed my things.

"Are you okay going back?" She held up my coat and purse.

"Yeah. I was a little impulsive.."

"Come on. I've yet to taste any of this amazing food," she mocked.