Chapter 34

I walked around the house quickly, flipping on every light. I double and triple checked each lock, closing all curtains and blinds before dropping onto my bed. When my phone buzzed, I startled and my heart raced. I picked it up to see Cameron's name on the screen and took a deep breath.

"Hi." The word tumbled out shaky and unsure.

"Are you home? You didn't text and I was starting to get worried. Are you okay?"

I took another breath. "Yeah.. um, I'm home. I'm a little freaked out, that's all."

"What happened?"

"There was a note on my car.. and I don't know, it was really creepy. I keep getting "Unknown" calls and I just feel really weird."

My words rushed out too quickly and I tried to calm my frayed nerves by sitting with my knees pulled up to my chest.

"Okay, slow down. A note? What phone calls? Have they been happening for long?"

I closed my eyes and listened to her voice. "Yeah. There was a piece of paper on my windshield at the parking garage. Only on my car. It umm.. it had some crude words on it. When I got home, I had a call and all I heard was heavy breathing." I couldn't keep my voice from trembling.

"I'm leaving the office right now and I'm coming over, okay?"

"Okay.."

"Ren, I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll call you when I'm outside. Why don't you put on something like Clueless, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you."

"I love you too." I let the phone drop to the bed next to me.

I stood up and stretched, raising my arms above my head, taking deep breaths as I bent down to touch my toes. I shook out my arms and legs before grabbing my phone and heading to the living room.

It's probably just some stupid kid playing a prank.

Covering myself in a blanket, I hummed along to the opening of Clueless. I let my body relax as the familiar scenes played. The longer I sat there, the sillier I felt about freaking out. Then I started to feel embarrassed about Cameron leaving something important at work to rush to me.

And for what? To baby you because a note and a stupid phone call scared you?

I groaned inwardly and started to shoot her a quick text.

I feel super embarrassed that you're leaving work to come here. I've calmed down and I probably completely overreacted

I chewed on my bottom lip waiting for a response.

I'm almost to your place. We'll talk when I get there

I huffed out a breath, annoyed with myself. I threw the blanket off, paused the movie and went to the kitchen. Maybe a snack would help. I stood in front of the open fridge rifling through, though nothing appealed to me. I moved over to the cupboards, grabbing a box of my guilty pleasure.. Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries.

I was almost elbow-deep in the box when headlights swept past the living room and I froze for a moment. My phone buzzed and relief washed over me when I saw Cameron's name on the screen.

"I'm here."

"Okay."

I went over to the door and instantly felt better to see her standing there. She walked in, wrapping me in her arms before doing anything else. I gladly held her tight for a few seconds.

"I seriously feel so ridiculous.."

She took off her coat and suit jacket before stepping out of her heels. For a moment I watched as she comfortably walked over to the couch and then patted the spot next to her.