Chapter 1

I was lost. Not metaphorically, but actually didn't have a clue where I was supposed to be going. GPS had taken a right turn into no-man's-land and ahead of me was a winding dirt road, spotty service and the voice on Maps repeating, "You've arrived at your destination."

"What destination?!" I muttered looking around at what looked like an endless expanse of forest surrounding me on all sides.

I put the car back in drive and slowly kept going, contemplating my decision every minute that passed with no signs of anything other than more trees. Just as I was about to turn around, I saw it. Just a few feet ahead was a paved driveway flocked by perfectly manicured hedges. I nervously proceeded through to find myself pulling into what could only be described as a storybook cottage. I raised my eyebrows and let out a slow breath. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Most of my jobs took me to popular parks or into the city.

As I was pulling my gear from the trunk of my car, I heard the front door open. I turned my head and my eyes locked with deep blue ones. I stumbled slightly over my words,

"Uh, hello. I'm here on behalf of Evergrove Photography."

I took a step towards her and almost tripped over the tripod that had slipped out of my grip. Her lips curved into an attractive smirk and she walked over to me. She was tall and moved effortlessly, gesturing towards my many bags.

"Hello, would you like some help?"

"Yes, thanks."

She grabbed a bag and extended her hand,

"I'm Cameron, and you are..?"

"I'm Ren," I shook her hand and was impressed by her strong, businesslike grip.

"Thanks for coming all the way out here." She led the way and I took everything in, trying to keep up with her long strides. The cottage was even more beautiful up close. The brick facade looked both weathered and pristine at the same time. There were wildflowers around the perimeter and I could hear the trickle of a fountain nearby.

"It's been in our family for years." Her voice sounded proud.

"It's like a dream," I blurted.

She smiled widely and the front door opened.

"Cameron, is she-"

The woman in the elegant pantsuit at the door clutched her hand to her chest as if she'd seen a ghost. I stepped forward,

"So sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I'm Ren Taylor."

She smoothed her short blonde hair and shot a small piercing look behind me for a second before smiling warmly at me.

"Hello and welcome! I'm Edith Russell, and I spook easily." She winked and I had to let out a small chuckle. This would make my job a lot easier.

I stole glances of the beautiful rooms inside the cottage as we made our way through it. Edith Russell talked excitedly about its history, so much so that I had a hard time keeping up. I nodded encouragingly and shifted the heavy bags on my shoulders.

"Ah, there you are," I heard just ahead as we turned a corner into a cozy kitchen. There was a distinguished looking gentleman with silver-gray hair that was brushed back smoothly and deep blue eyes that matched the ones I had met earlier. Edith leaned in to drop a quick kiss to his tanned cheek.

"Our photographer is here and I was just telling her a bit about our place."

He glanced over at me and raised his eyebrows, "Then I guess you probably talked her ear off." She playfully slapped at his chest.