Chapter 40

I stood at the balcony with my hand clamped over my mouth staring out at the caldera from our room in Santorini. The gentle breeze skimmed across my skin and nothing seemed quite real. The sun had just started to set after a very long day of travel and I felt overwhelmed.

I hardly noticed when she came up behind me, but then her arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me close and she hooked her chin over my shoulder.

"Cam, I- Is this a dream? This is too much.." I breathed out.

She brushed my hair back and brushed her lips against my neck. "You deserve the world."

"I just can't wrap my head around it sometimes. It's.. hard to believe."

"Hard to believe what?"

"That I found you. I'm going to sound so ridiculous, but I met you and I never thought I could feel like this and you're just- and we're here right now and when I'm with you, it's- how is this- how are you real?"

She gave me a squeeze before turning me around so I was facing her, chuckling softly.

"I seriously love when you ramble." She ran her hand through my hair, cupping my face in her hands. "You were meant for me."

Before I could respond, she leaned in to brush her lips over mine and I felt like I would wake up at any moment, for sure. When her kiss deepened and her tongue snaked past my lips, I gave in to the moment and how real it all was. I was on the most amazing vacation of my life and so in love with the beautiful woman who started tangling her hands into my hair as our mouths connected again and again, leaving us breathless.

I pressed my body to hers. "I love you."

"I love you too, beautiful." She took a deep breath and dropped her head to my shoulder. "Food.. sleep.. you. Too many choices after a long day."

I laughed and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Food first, then sleep." I brought my lips to her ear. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I guess."

"Food and sleep will give you more energy," I smirked.

"Sold." She grabbed my hand, walking us both into the spacious, airy room.

***

A light meal and quick showers had drained the rest of our energy. We'd collapsed into bed, falling asleep in record time.

There were no alarms the next day and the warm sun combined with her soft skin draped across my body were enough to make me never want to move. I blinked my eyes a couple times, but it never changed. The crisp white of the room, the sheets and the tousled blonde hair resting against my arm. I brushed it back, tracing a fingertip down the bridge of her nose and across her lips. I watched as her eyes slowly opened and she smiled, sending a spark straight to the center of my chest.

I would do anything to see that smile for the rest of my life.

As soon as the thought entered my mind, I panicked. The last time I thought I wanted forever with someone hadn't exactly worked out.

"It's too early to be so lost in thought," she teased, breaking me out of my internal monologue.

"Just thinking about our day."

"If you say so." She shrugged and moved to sit up.

I couldn't keep my eyes off the smooth lines of her back as she stretched. The sheets just covering her hips dropped away as she stood up and my breath caught. She turned quickly and my face flushed.