Chapter 17

We spent the morning snuggling in bed, her warm body wrapped around mine, our legs intertwined. Between soft, whispered words and feather-light touches, I felt like I was in a dream world.

"I could get used to this." She hummed, rubbing her hands softly up and down my back.

"Mm, me too."

"Ren.. you were alone on Thanksgiving?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I guess I assumed you'd be with Eliza, or with other family."

I avoided looking at her and chose to bury my head in the crook of her neck, breathing in her sweet scent. "Eliza is with Whitney's family and I don't have extended family that I.. speak to."

"Oh.. I see. You could have told me, you know."

"You had plans with your family, though. I was fine. I cleaned, organized, ordered take out and maybe had a few glasses of wine.."

"I had plans, but.." she stroked my cheek, tilting my face up to look at her, "you're also my girlfriend."

Hearing her say that released an army of butterflies in my stomach. I was laying in bed naked with the woman after a steamy night, and just hearing her call me her girlfriend was enough to make me weak in the knees. I couldn't help but grin at her like an idiot.

"What?" She furrowed her brow.

"Your girlfriend."

"Just stating facts." She leaned down to brush a soft kiss across my lips.

"That would have been the dramatic surprise this year."

"What do you mean?"

"You said this year's dramatic surprise was your Aunt Jody's news. I'm pretty sure if you showed up to Thanksgiving dinner with your new girlfriend.."

Cameron laughed, but it sounded different than her natural laugh that I'd started getting used to. "I guess that would have been a dramatic surprise. I haven't brought anyone to Thanksgiving since- in a long time. It definitely would have been the topic of conversation."

Since.. when?

Before I could ask the question on my mind, she kissed me again. She moved her lips to my ear where she nibbled lightly before whispering, "So scandalous.."

Is she trying to distract me?

Her hand roamed over my body under the sheets and my breath caught. With her skilled fingers and her lips on mine, every single thought left my mind, replaced by soft sighs and moans as I clung to her while she brought me to the edge again.

***

We had just finished cleaning up from lunch. I glanced at her standing in my kitchen in a pair of boxers and a tank top. She looked like she belonged there.

"Cam?"

"Hmm?"

"Will you help me with something today?"

"Sure, what is it?" There was no hesitation.

"I just wanted to pull out all of the Christmas stuff from the basement. It's- it's been down there since I moved here and Eliza wants to get a real tree and she'll be here next weekend, so I thought it would be nice to have it all ready, but some of the boxes are really heavy and-"

She stepped towards me, dropping a quick peck to my lips. "Okay."

"Okay," I took a breath, "it's this way."