Chapter 12

The rest of the week was a whirlwind of work. Between sessions, client meetings and editing, the time had been flying by. I'd seen Cameron a few times, but she'd been just as busy and exhausted.

My last phone call during business hours on Friday had just ended and I hung up and did a celebratory dance in my home office.

I picked up my phone and she answered after two rings.

"Hi, I was hoping you'd call."

"Longest week ever." I shook my long hair out from its messy bun and rubbed my fingers over my scalp.

"Come with me to the Christkindlmarkt tonight. Food, drinks and a chance to unwind. What do you say?"

"I say.. yes. A big yes," I said excitedly.

"Perfect. I'll see you in a bit."

When I hung up I gave a small squeal. I loved Christmas and had always wanted to go to the local Christkkndlmarkt, but had never been. For the past few years, holidays had been really different. The lights, the smells, the feeling. Christmas was the holiday I always looked forward to the most every year.

It was already mid-November and I hadn't even thought about the holidays. To get in the mood, I put on my favorite Christmas music while I got ready. Within an hour, I was throwing in my own choreography. I was in the middle of the living room giving a good twirl while belting "All I Want For Christmas Is You" when I noticed someone watching me through the bay window in my living room that had the curtains wide open.

Cameron was standing out there, a wide grin on her face. I groaned and covered my face before offering her a sheepish smile. I walked over to open the door, silencing the music.

"I didn't know I'd be getting a private concert today," she teased.

"Well, I can't carry a tune, but I can perform a mean lip-sync.." I gave a nonchalant shrug.

She gave me a quick peck on the lips that still made me feel giddy. "Ready?"

"So ready."

***

When we walked towards the market, I couldn't help but gasp. It was all so beautiful. We made our way over to the food and drinks while I exclaimed over everything.

"This is the best." I wrapped my hands around my drink while we found a spot to sit and enjoy our food. We'd grabbed a little of everything to sample.

"I've never been here before." Cameron looked around.

"Really? I haven't either, but I've always wanted to."

"I might be going out on a limb.. but I have a feeling maybe you really like Christmas."

I laughed. "Guilty.. is it that obvious?"

"Only a little." She smirked and took a sip of her own drink. "Tell me about your love for Christmas."

As we ate, I rambled about the traditions my parents had created when I was little. How much magic I had found in all the pretty lights, the decorations, the music and the little crafts and things we did every year. I told her about how we'd pile into the car in our pajamas to drive around the bigger neighborhoods to look at all of the lights. Mom would bring a thermos of hot chocolate and I would sip it slowly to savor it. I told her about how every year, dad would take me to the big department store to pick out something special for mom and I felt so grown up when I found something she would love.

There were so many Christmas memories that were special to me. From the wreath ornament I had made in kindergarten that featured my toothless smile, to the year in high school when I had brought my first girlfriend home for Christmas dinner.