Chapter 29

I sat at the end of the bed, part of the bed sheet loosely wrapped around my body. Every few minutes I'd glance back at her sleeping form and a smile would tug at the corners of my lips. Her smooth back rose and fell with her breaths and her golden hair was a tousled mess on the pillow.

Inside, I waded through all of the emotions that swirled around me. My heart raced and my mind went over everything that had happened the night before, all the words said, every touch and every kiss. I practiced my breathing exercises and kept stealing looks at the beautiful woman who loved me like I loved her.

Is this actually real?

It seemed so silly to question it, to wonder. In the quiet morning hours, my fingertips skimmed over the parts of my body she'd claimed and it made me feel alive.

Feeling the bed shift, I turned to her. She propped herself up on her elbow, pushing her hair back and letting the sheet drop away from her body. I scanned my eyes over her slowly and when our eyes met, I noticed the slight pink tinge to her cheeks.

"I hope you never stop looking at me like that." Her voice still sounded raspy from sleep and it made my heart ache in the best way.

"I don't think I could."

She held her hand out to me and I joined her, my body instantly relaxing next to hers.

"Are you worried about something?" Her hand brushed through my hair.

"I- how-"

"You tend to overthink. I can almost see the wheels turning in your head. Your eyes start to jump around and sometimes you start chewing your lip." She traced a fingertip over my lips.

"You're pretty good."

"I think I'm just observant."

"I don't think "worried" is the right word. This.." I threaded my fingers with hers, bringing them up to my lips and brushing a kiss over them, "this just seems.."

"Ren.. being happy isn't a daydream. How we feel about each other is real. If you want this as much as I do, you have to believe that."

"I don't think I've ever been so sure about something."

"Okay, so no more overthinking. Come on."

She got up, pulling me with her to the bathroom. She started the water and gathered some big, fluffy towels and two robes while the room filled with steam. I stepped inside first, the hot stream washing over me. She stepped in behind me, pressing her body close. I turned towards her and reached for the first small bottle, filling my hands before lathering them into her hair, massaging her scalp. I moved slowly, letting my fingertips work through her thick hair and then down to her neck.

She closed her eyes and I switched our positions, letting the water flow over her head. As she wiped the water from her eyes, I traced a finger over the droplets cascading down her nose and over her lips. She pulled me to her, her body flush against mine. Brushing my wet hair to the side, she slid her lips along my neck, making me shiver. I pushed back slightly and grabbed the body wash, pouring it into my hands and bringing them to her shoulders. Her eyes burned into me as I moved my fingers over her body, covering every inch. She sucked in a breath as my thumbs swiped over her breasts and then again as I reached her lower stomach.

The steam surrounding us, the sound of the water rushing around us; it filled my senses. Every small gasp from her, the sound of her shallow breaths that had started to come more quickly. The fresh scent of the shampoo and body wash, it was something slightly citrus. The way my hands felt sliding along her smooth, wet skin. Skin I had explored so many other times before, but never got tired of. My senses were in overdrive and filled completely with her.