28. EMPTY CASKET

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT 

EMPTY CASKET.

ECHO'S EYES SEARCHED HER MOSTLY black wardrobe before she found a dress right at the back of it, a simple black one with sleeves that reached her knees and the sleeves went down to her elbows. Plucking it off her hanger, she threw it onto her bed right besides Vulpecula before closing her wardrobe.

With a deep sigh, the ebony haired witch finally began getting changed, trying her best to ignore her heavy heart. She had known Harvey for years, the pair were close friends and it pained her to keep this from him. He lost his only brother without even knowing he lost him. She knew how she'd react if she was in his shoes, and she knew she would've wanted someone to tell her the truth.

When Echo finally left her room and walked downstairs, guests were already entering the home, all dressed in black with solemn expressions embedded on their faces. Echo spotted Sabrina standing at the bottom of the stairs, her eyes very clearly observing Harvey as he stood besides his father whilst the guests walked by them, paying them their respects.

"Go be with him," Echo muttered quietly, catching her twin by surprise and causing her to jump in shock.

"W-What?" The blonde asked, twisting her head to look at Echo.

"He clearly needs you right now, Brina," Echo said softly, glancing over at Harvey, "Go over there."

Sabrina bit her lip as she stood as still as a statue for a moment, before she inhaled deeply and whilst smoothing her dress down, she began making her way towards the boy and his father, leaving Echo standing by the staircase.

"It's really...sweet," Ms. Wardwell's voice said from behind her, Echo glanced over her shoulder and watched as the woman made her way over, "Warms the heart, doesn't it?"

Echo raised an eyebrow, confused as to why a funeral warmed anyone's heart.

"Seeing all of Greendale turn out for one of their fallen sons," Ms. Wardwell continued, "But that's mining towns for you. The sturdiest stock. I know young Harvey Kinkle had been moonlighting in the mines. I have to admit, when I heard about the collapse, I...I feared the worst."

"He made it out, witchy," Echo stated before glancing over to where Harvey now stood embracing Sabrina in a tight hug, "I think it's because I placed a protection spell on him," She whispered, looking back at the older woman.

"A protection spell?"

Echo nodded, "After his grandfather shot the familiar in Moon Valley, I assumed the Weird Sisters might retaliate," She explained and as she did so, she couldn't help but notice a weird look flash through Ms. Wardwell's eyes, "Wait, you don't think...they..."