26. TOMMY'S HAT

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

TOMMY'S HAT.

"HEY, HEY! I'M LOOKING FOR Harvey Kinkle. Who do I talk to about--"

An office pointed in the direction of another group of officers. Rolling her eyes, Echo pushed past the forming crowds, "Have you seen Harvey Kinkle?" Echo questioned a different officer close by.

The man shook his head before walking away. 

Echo felt her heart pounding loudly in her chest as she looked around the area. People were crying and hugging one another as injured mine workers were being retrieved from inside the mines. Doctors and nurses worked tirelessly to help those that were injured. She still couldn't believe what had happened, and as soon as her Aunt Zee informed her of the accident, Echo didn't think twice before sprinting from their house to the mines.

"Excuse me," Echo said to a nurse as she was patching up a man, "Have you seen Harvey Kinkle?" The woman shook her head, "He's-He's got brown hair--"

"Echo."

Swivelling around, Echo was quick to spot Harvey sitting on the ground, a nurse besides him cleaning a large cut above his eyebrow. Relief washed over her as she rushed towards him, sliding down besides him before throwing her arms gently over his shoulders.

"I made it out in time," Harvey stated, his voice shaky, "But there are five guys still in there, and Echo, Tommy's one of them."

Echo's blood ran cold as she moved out of the hug.

"I need to go back in," Harvey suddenly said, rushing up to his feet, "I can't leave him in there."

Echo was quick to jump to her feet. She grabbed Harvey's arm, "Harvey, you're in shock, you can't go back in there," She told him, placing a hand on his dirty cheek.

"I gotta find my dad," Harvey breathed out, he shook his head as he moved out of Echo's grip and walked away.

"Echo! Harvey!"

Echo turned around and spotted Susie and Rosalind rushing towards her, each of them carrying a large box.

"Is he okay?" Susie asked, looking nervously at Harvey retreating figure as he walked around the area.

"I-I don't know," The words spilled from Echo's mouth, "He was in the mines when it happened.

Both Ros and Susie gasped in shock.

"Oh, my God," Susie mumbled, glancing over at the entrance of the mines.

"We should, um..." Rosalind gulped nervously, "Let's find somewhere to set up so we can start helping."