7. DICKS-FOR-BRAINS

CHAPTER SEVEN

DICKS-FOR-BRAINS.

THE FIRE CRACKLED IN THE living room of the Spellman house. 

Echo cautiously sat down besides her aunt Zelda as Sabrina sat in the armchair, closest to Father Blackwood, who had been watching the two sisters with an intrigued look on his face.

"Now..." He finally spoke up, "Your aunties tell me you have questions, about your baptism and such."

Sabrina nodded, "I do..." She breathed out, "But I'm not sure where to begin."

"Allow me," The man moved around in his seat, getting more comfortable, "A witch's dark baptism is our most sacred unholy sacrament. The oldest of our rites. We've been performing them for over centuries," Father Blackwood explained, glancing between the Aunts and the twins, "Our Dark Lord's book, the Book of the Beast, is the most ancient tome in existence."

"About that. If I sign my name in the Book of the Beast, does that mean I'm giving the Dark Lord dominion over my soul?" Sabrina questioned. Echo's eyes wandered from the blonde to Father Blackwood, his expression soft as he carefully listened to Sabrina's inquiry.

"That's one interpretation, but it's largely a symbolic gesture, as rituals in most religions are. What else?"

"Let's say I do sign my name in the book. Does that mean he can call on me? To do his biding?"

"All religions demand some sacrifice. But signing your name is more like...a pledge, let's say," The High Priest answered, "That you'll abide by his commandments. Do you know your Thirteen Commandments?"

"We've taught them to both girls," Aunt Zelda answered for Sabrina.

"They've learned them by heart," Aunt Hilda added.

"I'm not an evil person, Father," Sabrina suddenly stated, causing all eyes to turn in her direction.

Father Blackwood suddenly began laughing and was quickly joined by Hilda and Zelda, "I'm glad to hear it," He said, smiling widely, "Neither am I. Neither is your sister. Neither are your aunts."

"But the Devil..."

The laughing instantly stopped. Father Blackwood's smile disappeared and was replaced with a tight-lipped smile, "The Dark Lord, yes?"

"He is the embodiment of evil," Sabrina finished.

"Incorrect," Father Blackwood said, "He's the embodiment of free will. Good. Evil. Those words matter to the False God, but the Dark Lord is beyond such precepts."

"What about Hell?" Sabrina inquired, "I don't want to go there when I die."

"First of all, if you accept the Dark Lord's gifts, you won't die, not for a very long time," Father Blackwood reassured, "Second of all, Hell is for mortals. In exchange for their service and devotion, witches are exempt from the eternal flame of damnation. Really, what's needed here is a fundamental shift in thinking."