10. HALLOWEEN

CHAPTER TEN

HALLOWEEN.

"I'LL STILL BE ABLE TO see them, won't I, Ambrose?" Sabrina asked for what felt like the hundredth time as she paced up and down in the living room. Echo let out an over exaggerates sigh and shared a look with her cousin, "Ros, Harvey, Susie. I mean, just because we're not at the same school, it doesn't mean we can't be friends. I'll be at the Academy of the Unseen Arts during the week, but during the weekends--"

"On the weekends you'll still be a witch," Ambrose piped up.

"No, I know, but we'll still be able to go to the movies, same as always, and bowling, and all the other fun things we do together."

"Of course, Auntie Mame and Baby Jane would leave me to explain the hard bits," Ambrose mumbled under his breath as he sat up on the couch; which he occupied with Echo, "Look, it's frowned upon. It is discouraged."

"But you talk to mortals, Echo talks to them. And Hilda and Zelda, they talk to mortals," Sabrina stated, placing her hand on her waist as she looked at the warlock with tears in her eyes.

"Yeah, we do, in passing," Ambrose nodded, "But we don't have a meaningful connection with them. The coven forbids that, they will see to it. And Echo, well, she's going off to the Academy after tonight anyways."

"What? They'll cast a spell on me if I go to the mall with Harvey?" 

Ambrose stayed quiet and both girls looked at him.

"Ambrose, will they?" Sabrina asked again, panic painted upon her face.

"It is as though a veil drops....between you and the mortal world, and eventually, quite quickly, you're...weaned from it," Ambrose explained softly.

"I won't forget them," Sabrina shook her head.

"You'll want to," Ambrose simply stated, a deeply saddened look washed over his face, "Or else the pain is too much to bear."

"Why would it be painful?" Sabrina questioned, looking genuinely confused.

"Time slows down, and they'll grow old and you won't. And those things that are so terribly important to them will...seem trivial and pale to you. The longer you're a witch, the more you'll understand, but..." He took a deep breath, "It's better to forget the mortal world...and think only of what is ahead and be ready for what is ahead."

Echo frowned when she spotted a tear rolling down Sabrina's cheek, before the blonde quickly wiped it away, took a deep breath and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Echo asked as Sabrina turned around and was ready to leave the living room.