27: We'll carry on

I awoke with a much more positive attitude; after I had cried myself out last night, Mikey and I had stayed up until three in the morning, talking about everything from my insecurities to what I hoped would happen now that I had Frank back in my life.

Even though I had barely slept, I felt refreshed and invigorated, but most of all I just wanted to return to Frank's side.

Mikey made me eat a decent breakfast before he finally gave in and drove me to the hospital, for some reason he wouldn't let me drive myself, even though my car was at his house and it still worked perfectly fine, but I was too eager to waste time arguing with him.

I was basically bouncing with excitement by the time he pulled up in front of the hospital entrance. I just couldn't contain all my nervous energy, so even though I probably looked like a five year old, I didn't even attempt to stop my erratic movements.

"Bye bro, I'll pick you up after I get off okay? Call me if anything changes," Mikey reminded me.

"Of course I will, now get out here before you are late to work." I shooed him away with a laugh before heading inside, practically running to the floor Frank was staying on, with only a brief stop to sign in at the reception desk.

When I entered the room, Frank's eyes were closed, but they opened a crack when I stepped up to his beside.

I couldn't resist the broad grin that spread across my face, just being around Frank made me happier than I had been in years; not that I had been unhappy before, but he enhanced everything simply by existing.

"Hey Frank," I greeted him shyly, unsure how long he had been awake, and if he had noticed my absence or not.

"I missed you," Frank admitted, and I swear - my heart almost burst at those words.

"I'm sorry I left; I know I said I wouldn't, but visiting hours were over, and they wouldn't let me stay. Did you see my note?" My words came out shaky and fast, I didn't know why I was nervous; Frank obviously wasn't mad at me, but that didn't erase my fear.

"Yeah I did. I'm just glad you came back, I was kind of worried that you wouldn't."

"I promised you Frank, I am not leaving you ever again okay? Not unless you ask me too."

I sank down in the chair placed by the bed, my hand itched to clasp his own, but I kept them firmly twisted in my lap.

"I know it's just...fuck - this is so weird isn't it?" Frank changed whatever he had been going to stay mid-sentence, and I didn't press him on it, even though I was insanely curious.

"Yeah it is, kinda like a dream huh?" I chuckled to myself.

"More like the best fucking dream ever."

We sat in silence for a few moments, just enjoying being in each other's presence for the time being. Finally I broke the quiet atmosphere, even though I was wary of doing it, I had a lot of questions that were bouncing around in my brain, and I was desperate for answers.

"Frank...can I ask what happened? After you moved - I mean?" I tried to fake an air of nonchalance, but my hands were shaking so badly, I had to sit on them to hide it.

"Well um...did you ever get my voicemail?" Frank drew his words out slowly, and I simply nodded in response.

"So you know I moved out of my aunt's house, well after that - my mom took my phone away when she caught me calling you, she didn't give it back for ages either. So I could only call you from other people's phones I managed to borrow, but I couldn't remember Laurel Hills number, and I didn't write it down like an idiot. So I called your cell a lot, probably once a week for months, but you never answered. I kind of just assumed that you had moved on...so I stopped, I didn't want to hold you back from happiness." Frank refused to meet my eyes, and I could tell he was choking back tears.