3: Do what it takes to survive

I am sorry guys, I didn't mean to make you wait so long for an update!

I got really distracted writing TMIAA, and I have been neglecting this story, but anyway - here is the next chapter!

Even after I had parted ways with Mikey and Frank, I still maintained my joyful mood. With the addition of Frank into my life, even something as routine as the walk to school had become exhilarating.

Unfortunately I didn't share any classes with them since I was three - well four in Frank's case - years older than them.

I knew for a fact that school wouldn't be so hellish if I could spend all day with Frank's infectious smile. Speaking of smiles, I couldn't seem to hide the grin that was plastered across my face. For the first time in years, I felt truly happy.

"Hey Way!"

Wouldn't you know it, my day was going to go to shit before I even reached my first class.

I turned around slowly, and came eye to eye with Thomas...also known as the quarterback of the football team, and my own personal bully. I had run into him in the hallway by accident last year, causing him to spill his Gatorade all over himself, and ever since then, he had decided to make my life a living hell as often as he could.

I tried to turn around and continue walking to my class, but Thomas had other ideas. He grabbed the strap of my backpack, keeping me trapped unless I wanted to leave my bag behind for him to rummage through, and I would never abandon my precious sketchbook in his hands.

"What are you grinning about fag boy? Did you finally get laid last night?" I kept my eyes peeled to the floor and clenched my fists in anger.

"Let me go..." I snarled softly.

Usually I tried not to antagonize them, but the gay jabs really got me riled up. I could sit through emo boy, cutter, loser...all the usual ones, but for some reason, being called gay as if it was this horrendous dirty thing drove me insane.

Just because I had never had a girlfriend, this asshole thought it was okay to make assumptions about me and hurl them back in my face. I wasn't even sure if I was gay or not, but it shouldn't matter, and I couldn't keep quiet any longer.

"Have you finally grown a spine Way? Well let me knock you down a few pegs before you go getting a big head."

Before I could react, his fist collided with my face, and I fell to the floor like a sack of flour. Just then - I was saved by the ringing of the bell signaling class had started. With one finally kick to my ribs, Thomas left, taking his little entourage with him.

With a muffled groan of pain, I dragged myself to my feet and headed toward the closest bathroom...once again - I was going to be skipping my first class of the day to clean myself up.

I examined myself in the mirror and winced when I caught sight of my face. My eye was puffy, and already a dark bruise was forming around it. As if I wasn't ugly enough to begin with, now I had to walk around with a shiner for the next few days...I probably was going to have a bruise on my side too, but at least I could hide that.

I sank down dejectedly on the floor and tried my best to hold back my tears. I despised myself...I hated being so weak and pathetic. I basically carried a neon sign around with me that said "PICK ON ME I'M AN EASY TARGET", and if I attempted to stand up for myself, I just get a worse beating than I usually would.

Mikey had tried to convince me to tell someone when he had caught sight of my bruises a few weeks ago, but I had refused. Unless the school actually expelled Thomas, telling someone would just make him even angrier, and I couldn't risk that, so I suffered in silence because I didn't know what else to do.