37: We were born to lose

Gerard's POV

"Is he awake yet?"

"No he's still knocked out..."

"Well I have to go pick up Elena from the hospital, I will be back in a bit. Will you be okay by yourself?"

"Stop worrying, I won't burn the house down while you are gone."

I was residing in a state of semi-awareness in which I could hear what was happening around me, but I didn't seem to possess the ability to open my eyes and participate in the proceedings, or even move for that matter, probably because I felt like I had been run over by a truck.

The voices faded away before I could find the strength to get up and tell them that I was in fact awake, and slightly functioning at least. I heard a door open and close somewhere, so I assumed whoever it was had vacated the room, and I would be left alone to sleep for a little while longer.

I felt the bed dip down with an added weight, well I assumed it was a bed - it sure felt like one, but besides that single fact I had managed to deduce, I had no idea where I was. Last night was a blur, the final thing I remembered was being in a park...with a bottle of vodka.

"Ugh..." I groaned softly, both at the memories that were now pouring back, and at the pounding headache that was currently assaulting me.

"Baby? You awake?" Frank's voice filled my ears, and even though I was ecstatic to have him here beside me, because I really didn't want to be left alone when I felt so terrible, it seemed as if he was speaking through a megaphone, and the added volume didn't help my aching head one bit.

"Hurts..." Well apparently I had forgotten how to form coherent sentences, but Frank seemed to understand what I meant instantly.

"There is water and aspirin on the dresser when you are ready to sit up," he informed me in a softer tone of voice.

"I love you..." I mumbled, but even though I could talk, movement still seemed too big of an obstacle to tackle.

"I love you too." I could hear the smile in his voice, and I decided to attempt to open my eyes so I could witness it for myself, but that turned out to be a terrible idea. The bright sunlight pouring into the room seared my corneas, so I immediately squeezed my lids shut again.

"Frank...what happened last night? I remember a little bit, but not everything." I decided to try and fill in some of the gaps in my memory before I attempted any kind of motion again.

"We don't have to talk about this right now love, we can wait until you are feeling better."

"I fucked up didn't I?" I pressed, guilt lacing my words.

"No Gee, don't think like that. It was just a slip up, that's all." I felt Frank's comforting arms slip around my waist, and I snuggled into them gratefully.

"I'm so sorry...I didn't mean too, I just snapped." I couldn't understand how Frank wasn't furious with me. I had taken off and gotten wasted, and if Frank had done the same thing to me, I wouldn't be reacting so well.

"I know love, it's okay."

"Where am I?" I asked after managing to crack my eyes open again, observing the unfamiliar floral wallpaper and blue bed spread that definitely did not belong in my room.

"Your mom's guest room."

"Oh...how did I end up here?" I sat up slowly, only so I could down the water and pills that were awaiting me on the bedside dresser before lying back down again.

"I brought you here, your mom was worried, and I didn't want to drive you all the way home in the state you were in," Frank informed me, shifting slightly on the bed to try and find a more comfortable position.