17: Leave it all behind

Frank's POV

"Fine mom - I'm coming!" I yelled out much louder than was necessary, but I was fed up with hearing her and Dr. Wentz argue with each other, and I wasn't in a very courteous mood.

I exited the room as dramatically as I could while being bound to a wheelchair, leaving my mom to follow me at her own convenience.

Because I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, I almost ran headlong into two bored looking police officers. One of them with blond hair and a bit of scruff caught the handles on the back of my chair before I rammed into his partner.

"Whoa there buddy," he chuckled, and I felt my cheeks flaming in embarrassment.

"Sorry about that." Just then my mom walked out of the room with a pissed off expression on her face, but it quickly disappeared when she saw that we had company.

"Mrs. Iero - we are going to talk to your son alone first if that's okay?" the second officer asked.

"Yes that's fine. I will be in the waiting room." She shot me a look that said we were going to have words later, but I ignored it.

"So you're Frank?" The officer who still had a grip on the back of my chair began wheeling me down the hallway until we reached an empty office. They positioned me on one side of the large gray desk which dominated the room before taking a seat on the other end.

"Yeah that's me." I didn't know what else to say, so I stayed silent.

"Well I'm Officer Bryar and this is Officer Pelissier. We just want to talk to you for a bit about why you are here." I nodded my head to signify that they could continue.

I knew this was coming, but everything seemed to be happening so fast. I was having a hard time focusing on anything, my thoughts were still back with Gerard, and I had almost forgotten about how I had ended up in the hospital for a short time.

"So we understand you are having some problems at home with your father," Officer Bryar continued.

"Stepfather...he's not my real dad."

"Okay - stepfather then. Is he the reason you are in the hospital today?"

"Yeah he is. We have never gotten along, but ever since he lost his job, he has been drinking a lot, and when he is drunk, he takes it out on me." I hoped that would be enough to please them because I wanted to get back to Gerard as soon as possible.

"How long has this been going on?" Officer Pelissier questioned while Officer Bryar scribbled in a small notebook.

"Um...on and off for about a month, but I wasn't home much after the first time."

"Where were you staying then?"

"My boyfriend's house, but when he got...hurt, I had to go back to my place."

"Why haven't you reached out for help before now?" Officer Bryar asked me, and I actually had to stop and think for a minute.

I honestly wasn't sure...I mean - I could have called the cops the first time he had thrown that beer bottle at me, but I hadn't.

"I guess I didn't want to cause any drama for my mom, and I kept hoping he would stop," was the best answer I could come up with.

"Has you mother ever harmed you in any way?"

"No - never!" I exclaimed quickly.

"Okay - calm down, I was just wondering. That's pretty much all we need to know right now. Can you send your mother in here for us?"