14: Am I losing myself?

I finally managed to heave my aching body to my feet, and I turned my steps toward home. It was freezing outside, and I didn't want anyone to catch me having an emotionally breakdown when I was supposed to be in class.

Hopefully my stepdad would still be out and I would have the house to myself. I just wanted to sleep until it was time to go visit Gerard, that was the only way I could escape the pain.

Unfortunately when I got home, I spied my stepdad's car in the driveway...maybe he would be passed out again? Trying to be as silent as possible, I eased the door open and slid inside.

I was halfway to the stairs which led up to my room when I heard heavy footsteps behind me. Picking up my pace, I attempted to quickly get out of sight, but I wasn't fast enough. My stepdad entered the kitchen with a bottle of beer clutched in his meaty hand.

"What the hell are you doing home?" he asked gruffly, and I winced when I heard how slurred his words were. This wasn't going to end well...

"Um...I wasn't feeling well."

"Doesn't mean you can skip school. You need to tough it out or you are going to end up some broke ass loser."

"Like you?" I whispered under my breath.

"What the fuck did you say?" he snarled.

"Forget it. I'm going to my room."

"Don't you dare turn your back on me!"

I ignored him and kept walking, which was not a smart move on my part. I flinched as the beer bottle he had been holding flew past my head, narrowly missing me. It shattered against the wall with a loud crash, and I watched as the amber liquid began to seep across the floor.

Something inside me snapped, and before I could rethink my actions, I spun around and punched my stepdad square in the jaw.

His head snapped back with the force of my blow, and I felt a sick sense of satisfaction flowing through me. The blow didn't stun him for long though, and when he grabbed my slender wrist in his large hands, I began to regret my impromptu action.

"You are going to wish you had never been born after I am done with you..." His threatening words caused a chill to run down my spine, and I knew that this time - I had pushed him too far.

I braced myself as the first blow came...and then another...and another...

-------------------------------------------

I couldn't move...breathing hurt...fuck - everything hurt.

I cracked my eyes open and slowly surveyed my surroundings. As I took in the beer soaked floor and felt the small shards of glass piercing my side, it all came rushing back to me.

My stepdad had beaten me senseless and apparently left me for dead once I had finally passed out.

I had to get out of this house before he realized I was awake. With a muffled groan, I dragged myself to my feet and began inspecting my body for serious injuries.

I had a cut on my face somewhere, and blood kept running into my eyes. Judging by the pain in my side, I would guess I had broken a rib or two, but besides that, I just seemed to be bruised.

I snuck out the backdoor and stumbled across the lawn, willing my pain wracked limbs to move faster so I could get away from the hell hole that had become my home.

I collapsed under a tree when running became too painful and grabbed my temples with both hands.

My head was spinning wildly, and I felt like I was going to throw up at any moment. I fought down the bile rising in my throat while frantically digging through my pockets, searching for my cell phone