21: Because the drugs never work

Frank's POV

That was the last time I saw Gerard Way for eight years...

Before I knew it, I was being awoken by Dr. Wentz, who informed me that my mother was here to pick me up since I was officially discharged from the hospital.

Needing to leave Gerard one final goodbye, I hastily scribbled out a note to him on a sheet of paper torn from Dr. Wentz's medical notepad.

It was short and simple, but I didn't have time for anything more, and I hoped it would be enough to sustain him while we were apart.

I will spend the rest of my days and nights chasing tomorrow until I can be with you again

Stay strong for me

I love you

The drive home with my mother was filled by an awkward silence. I was still furious with her for making me leave Gerard behind, and seeing the "For Sale" sign in our yard only intensified it.

When I entered the house, it looked pristine for the first time in weeks, and I could tell that my mom had attempted to erase all evidence of the fight I had with my stepfather. It was a useless effort though, those memories were permanently imprinted on my brain, and tidying up the house wouldn't make them disappear.

I spent the following week locked in my room, avoiding all human contact. My mom didn't force me to go school since we were leaving for California on Saturday. I shouldn't have been surprised that she was in such a rush, but it still hurt.

My daily phone calls with Gerard cheered me up a bit, but as soon as I hung up the phone, my stomach sank back into my knees, and my sorrow at our parting washed over me once again.

On my last day in town, I forced myself out of the house to say my goodbyes to Mikey. He had been an amazing friend to me, and I was going to miss him so much.

We spent the day pretending I wasn't leaving, instead we played video games and messed around trying to write a song together. That kid was an amazing bass player, and our styles melded really well.

All too soon, my phone's ringtone cut through the room, and when I saw my mom's name flashing across the screen, I knew it was time to go. Mikey and I parted ways with a hug and a promise to keep in touch.

The trip to California was torturous since my mother had elicited to drive instead of fly like any normal person would do. I had to make up an excuse to find a private place to call Gerard, usually resorting to a sleazy gas station bathroom, but my surroundings were forgotten as soon as his beautiful voice reached my ears.

I was so proud of him, he seemed like he was genuinely trying to get better, and I hoped Laurel Hills would put his self-harm to rest for good.

Once we arrived in California, I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I warmed up to my Aunt Ellie. I hadn't seen her since I was three years old, but she was so cheerful and outgoing it was hard not to like her.

My mom immediately jumped back into her job, so most of the time it was just my aunt and I in the house. School wasn't so bad either, but it was just an annoyance to me. I didn't get bullied or anything, but no one attempted to make friends with me, and I didn't have the energy to open up to anyone either.

Christmas holidays were approaching quickly, and I was looking forward to not having to deal with faking attention in class for a few weeks.

One night my aunt snuck into my room as I was writing a letter to Gerard; I had been so focused on the words that I hadn't heard her come in, and I didn't have time to cover up what I was doing.