36: Running away and hiding with you

Frank's POV

Work was dragging already, and I had barely made it through half of my shift. Don't get me wrong - I loved my job, but on slow days like this one, time dragged out impossibly, and I found myself in a staring match with the wall clock, willing it to move faster.

I had already put out all the new stock, I had even alphabetized the clearance records, and now there was nothing to do except for wait for a customer to show up. Well I guess I could dust, but I despised that chore, and I thought the books smelled better that way, the slight puff of dirt made them seem even older and more mysterious.

It was just Lindsey and I at work today, she was my boss, and for a manager she was really cool and laid back. She was sitting behind the counter with me, flipping through an old paperback she had picked up off the shelf about an hour ago.

"I'm so bored..." I sighed out, checking my phone to see if Gerard had texted me, but still no word from him. I was getting slightly worried, whatever his mom wanted to discuss with him had seemed serious, and he promised he would let me know what it was.

I pushed it to the back of my mind though, I'm sure they were just still talking, even though it had been over three hours since he had left for her house, but when Gerard and his mother got together, they could have an in depth conversation about pretty much anything.

"Then go do some work shorty," Lindsey retorted in a joking matter.

"I already did everything," I pouted sullenly.

"Oh I'm sure I could find something for you to do...like organize the storeroom," Lindsey grinned wickedly.

"You wouldn't..." I gasped out. Our storeroom was an absolute hell hole, it would take ten people to even be able to clear a path through there, much less actually sort through it all.

"Nah, I'm not that mean, but if you keep bitching than I might change my mind," Lindsey answered without looking up from the page she was on.

"Fine, I'll go take a break then, that counts as being productive in my book."

"Have fun killing your lungs," Lindsey waved as I stepped outside, preparing to do just that as I pulled a cigarette out of my pack. I didn't smoke nearly as much as I used to, but it was a hard habit to kick, especially when I was bored out of my mind, like right now.

I was about halfway through my smoke break when my phone began ringing loudly in my pocket. Pulling it out hastily, I smiled when I saw Gerard's name flashing across the screen.

"Hey baby," I grinned, putting out my cigarette so I could give him my full attention.

"Frank, this is Donna."

"Oh um...hi Mrs. Way, why are you calling from Gerard's phone?" I asked in a puzzled tone of voice.

"Honey, I - I don't know how to say this, but I need your help." My breath caught in my throat as I waited for her to continue speaking, but instead of words, a muffled sob tore out of her instead.

"Is this about Gerard? Is he okay?" I couldn't keep my panic at bay, but it was well founded. Why else would she be calling me unless it had to do with him?

"He disappeared Frank! He just took off, and I've been driving around looking for him for over an hour, but no one has seen him," she wailed softly.

"Okay...just calm down, I'll be there soon." I had a thousand and one things I wanted to ask her, but I could tell that I wasn't going to get many answers in the state she was in.

"Lindsey?" I shouted as soon as I reentered the book store.

"Hmm?" she grunted, her nose still buried in that book.