12: Fake your death

So I know this whole story has been from Gerard's POV so far since it is his memories of Frank, but this chapter is going to be in Frank's POV to explain what happened with Jamia.

It's set at the last class of the day right before Gerard went looking for Frank.

*trigger warning*

Frank's POV

When I walked into math class - my least favorite subject - I was prepared to sleep my way through another monotonous lecture, but my nap was disrupted by soft sniffling sounds coming from behind me.

The teacher's back was turned since he was drawing some weird ass triangles on the board, so I spun around to see Jamia sobbing quietly.

I really liked Jamia, she was a nice girl, and one of the few people I actually enjoyed being around, we had similar music tastes too, which was always a bonus. I was surprised to see her crying, usually she was so happy it was border lining on hyperactive.

"Hey what's wrong?" I whispered, hoping the teacher didn't hear me.

"Oh...uh..." she began wiping her eyes hurriedly in embarrassment.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I just don't like seeing you sad."

"No it's okay...it's just that..."

"Jamia! Frank! Stop talking and pay attention please," the teacher - whose name I couldn't be bothered to remember - snapped at us, and I turned around with what I hoped was a chastened look on my face.

Once he had gone back to his pointless scribbling, Jamia slipped a note onto my desk, and I opened it as quietly as I could.

Meet me after class in front of the school? I could really use someone to talk to.

I scribbled out my response in my basically ineligible handwriting, hoping she would be able to read it.

I'll be there

I snuck the note back to her, and then proceeded to try and at least fake paying attention so I wouldn't get yelled at again. A few minutes later, Jamia raised her hand and asked to be excused to go to the bathroom. With an exasperated expression on his face, the teacher agreed, and she bolted out the door as if she couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

I wasn't surprised when Jamia still hadn't returned by the time the final bell chimed out. Something was really eating at her...I hoped she was all right.

I pulled out my phone with the intention to text Gerard and tell him I would be a bit late meeting up with him, but I was met with a black screen. Stupid me forgot to charge my phone last night, and now it was dead. Oh well - I was pretty sure there was an outlet by the pillars out front, so I would text him then.

I gathered all my stuff and darted out the main doors of the school, but I didn't see Jamia anywhere yet. My lungs itched for a cigarette, but this area was too exposed, and I didn't want to get caught by a teacher, so I would have to wait.

I had just gotten my phone plugged in when I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I turned around to see Jamia's tear stained face.

"Hey there," I smiled up at her warmly.

"Thanks for meeting me Frank. I am sorry you had to see me like that," she blushed faintly.

"It's okay. You are my friend, and I was just worried about you. Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"Yeah...it's just my parents. They told me this morning that they are getting a divorce. I know it happens all the time, but I didn't see this coming at all..." she ended on a broken sob.