10: You can hide a lot about yourself

I was having a fantastic dream about Frank and I living together in our own apartment, without any parents or restrictions, when my arch enemy - the alarm clock - decided to ruin it for me. Scowling at it irritably as if that would turn it off, I finally got out of bed and hit the snooze button.

Frank was still fast asleep, and I decided to let him rest as long as possible while I hopped in the shower.

While I was lathering up my dark locks with shampoo, I pondered what to do about Frank's situation with his stepdad. I couldn't let him go back to that harmful environment, but he was much too young to get his own place, and he couldn't stay in my house indefinitely - as much as I would love that.

All I could think of was that we would have to tell Frank's mom what had happened, and hopefully she could protect him when I wasn't able to. I was still worried though, she worked all the time, and it was inevitable that Frank would be left alone with his stepdad at some point.

Shutting off the water with a dejected sigh, I retreated back into my room and began pulling on a pair of black skinny jeans and a Green Day shirt. I wasn't sure if Frank would be emotionally okay to go to school today, and my mom had already left for work, so she wouldn't know if I skipped or not.

I sat down on the end of the bed and began stroking my boyfriend's hair gently - I would never get tired of calling him that. Frank stirred and raised his sleep tousled head, emitting an adorable yawn in the process.

"Hey Gee," he mumbled quietly.

"Morning gorgeous." I smiled down at him warmly.

"What time is it?"

"Seven-thirty, but we don't have to go to school today if you aren't up for it."

"I'd rather not..."

"How are you feeling?" I asked tentatively.

"Better than last night, but still not that great. I just don't know what to do Gee...I'm scared to go back home."

"I know baby...I think we need to tell your mom what happened though."

"I don't know...I mean - what if she doesn't believe me? She is head over heels for my stepdad, and in the past when I have tried to tell her about his drinking, she has just brushed me off," Frank ended on a wail.

"That was before he hurt you though. She has to believe you now," I encouraged him.

"I guess you are right. She is probably at work already...can I borrow your phone so I can call her?"

I handed him my iPhone and watched his face scrunch up in concentration as he pulled the number out of his memory. He placed the phone to his ear and absentmindedly tapped his fingers against his knees while waiting for someone to pick up.

I laced my fingers through his errant ones and squeezed gently, letting him know I was here for him.

"Can I talk to Linda Iero please?" Frank's voice shook slightly as he spoke.

Another few moments passed as the call was transferred over, and I could feel the nervous tension radiating off of Frank.

"Hey mom - it's me. Are you busy? I kinda need to talk to you about something important."

I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, so I just waited patiently for Frank to begin talking again.

"Well...um...it's about dad...he came home really drunk last night, and he broke my phone, and threw a beer bottle at me."

The voice on the other line became shrill, and even though I couldn't understand the words, I knew Frank's mom was upset.

"What...no - why would I lie? No - you can't talk to him right now, I'm not at home....Fine - you do that, but I never thought I would see the day when you trusted someone you barely know over your own son! Whatever mom...Don't expect me to come home tonight." Frank hung up the phone as tears pooled in his eyes.