25: I surrender every dream

Mikey and Ray actually showed up earlier than I had expected, which made the agonizing wait much more bearable now that I was no longer alone. They had brought with them breakfast from McDonald's, and my empty stomach was quickly filled by the fatty food.

We passed the time by reminiscing about old times with Frank, filling Ray in on the majority of it, because back then he and Mikey had just started hanging out, so he was unaware of most of the situation.

We avoided the uncomfortable topics involving if he was going to pull through and the drugs he had been carrying on him, and I was immensely grateful to them for not bringing it up.

I needed to be distracted right now, and thinking back on the happy memories I had shared with Frank was definitely working. It gave me hope that maybe one day soon I would be able to add to my bank of special moments with him.

"Gerard Way?"

Finally my name was called out by the new lady manning the desk, Liz was nowhere to be seen, much to my relief.

"That's me," I hurried over, eager for any new of Frank.

"Frank Iero has just gotten out of surgery, they are transferring him to his room right now, so you will be able to see him soon. His doctor will be out here momentarily to discuss how the procedure went with you."

I released the pent up breath I had been holding during the entire conversation as her words sunk in. Frank had made it, and even though I know it was still possible for something to go wrong, I was convinced that he was strong enough to make it through this.

"Thank you so much Marci," I thanked the new receptionist by the name plastered to her shirt, since she had been much more courteous than Liz.

I returned to my seat, relaying the news to Mikey and Ray, who both beamed in excitement. It meant the world to me that I had my brother's support in this, it would be so much more difficult to bear without his understanding presence.

A few minutes later, I had to stifle a chuckle when I spotted a familiar eyeliner wearing doctor striding toward me.

"Well if this isn't just like old times!" Doctor Wentz joked when he came within earshot.

After I had been released from Laurel Hills, Pete and I had actually become something resembling friends, since his boyfriend had become my therapist, we had stayed in contact and we hung out every now and again. I knew he worked at this hospital, but I hadn't expected him to be the one performing the surgery on Frank.

"They should have told me you were treating him Pete, then I wouldn't have been half as worried!" I exclaimed before pulling my friend into a hug, which he eagerly returned.

"I actually was just about to leave when they brought him in. I heard his name, and since you never shut up about him, I demanded to be the one to do the surgery. It helped that I already knew what caused it too."

"It was from his stepdad wasn't it? All those beatings fucked with his head?" I asked, curious to see if my guess had been correct.

"Yep you hit the nail right on the head...oooh - maybe not the best choice of words there, but you get my point. The last time he was in here, I discovered the bleeding on his brain, but it was minor at the time. I told him to be careful of it, but car wrecks aren't exactly something you can predict." Pete shook his head sadly.

"So - is he going to be okay?" I needed to hear it from his mouth before I believed it absolutely.

"Yeah - he should pull through just fine. I managed to reduce the swelling, and I will put him on medication to keep it down when he wakes up. He might have a few small seizures until it heals entirely, and there is a chance he might suffer some slight memory loss, but luckily you got him here just in time before any further damage happened. If you want to come wait in my office until he can receive visitors, I'm totally cool with that. The chairs are much comfier in there."