24: I'll be here waiting

I'm not sure how I managed it with how worried I was about Frank, but I guess the lack of coffee and the early morning had been too much for me, and I ended up dozing off in the waiting room.

I jolted awake right before I fell out of the uncomfortable chair, and for the second time that day, I forgot where I was for a few brief moments, but my ignorance didn't last long, and I jumped to my feet, determined to find out what was happening with Frank.

The clock on the wall said 9:55am; I had been here for almost two hours, so someone had to know something by now.

As I approached the desk, I tried to put on what I hoped passed for a smile, but in reality it probably looked more like a grimace. Liz was still manning the computer, but she had gotten rid of the gum - thank god.

"Has there been any change with Frank Iero?" I asked her warily.

Even though I was desperate to know what had happened, I was terrified of what news I was going to receive; worst case scenarios were plaguing my brain, and I tried my hardest to shut them out and focus on her answer.

"Hmm...yeah - okay he is in surgery right now for a brain hemorrhage. Once the doctor is done, he will come out and speak with you, but until then you will just have to sit tight okay?" She rattled off the information like it was no big deal, while I was over here struggling to breathe.

"A brain hemorrhage? Isn't that like a fucking huge procedure?!" I was in full on panic mode now, and I couldn't be bothered to watch my language, even though there were children in the nearby vicinity.

"It is a dangerous condition, but with immediate surgery, the patient can heal with no long term side effects," Liz sighed, and if I was her boss, I would have fired her for being such a bitch, but unfortunately I wasn't, so there was nothing I could do about it.

"They will tell me if anything happens right?" I demanded a bit too pretentiously, but I was pissed and scared, so my bad manners were nothing compared to hers, at least that was how I rationalized it.

"Yes sir they will - like I said before." She began playing with her hair, and I stormed away before I lost my temper completely. Throwing myself back into my chair in a manner similar to a petulant child, I pulled out my phone to text Mikey.

To Mikes: Apparently Frank has a brain hemorrhage...he is in surgery right now.

Mikey's reply was almost instant, apparently he hadn't fallen back asleep after our early conversation.

From Mikes: Fuck man isn't that serious? How did that happen?

To Mikes: Idk...I honestly have no clue what that means for him. I'm gonna Web MD it right now. You and Ray still dropping by later?

From Mikes: Yeah bro we are just trying to kick everyone out of the apartment and then we'll be heading over soon. Did you call mom?"

To Mikes: No not yet...I will do that when I know more. I don't want to get her hopes up and then have something terrible happen.

My mom had been devastated for me when Frank and I had lost contact. I learned later that while I was in the hospital, she had suspicions about his abusive situation at home, and she was furious at his mother's way of dealing with the problem.

She had even helped me search for him later, saying that she wanted to make sure he was okay as much as I did. I really did want to tell her that I had found him again, but there was so much I didn't know, and it was in her nature to bombard me with questions that I couldn't answer right now.

I wished she still lived around the corner so I could ask her to come over and wait with me, but once Mikey and I had moved out, she had gone to stay with Grandma Elena, saying that the house felt empty without us there, and Grandma could use the company. I missed her, but we still kept in constant contact.