5: Awake and unafraid

We were just about finished getting the last of Frank's things from his locker when the final bell shattered the relative silence of the hallway. Like a stampeding herd, people began to pour out of their classrooms, eager to escape for the weekend.

I huddled as close to the wall as I could; I wasn't a big fan of crowds, I usually waited until everyone had cleared out before I exited my own classroom, but I couldn't escape the press this time.

A small space opened up, and Frank began shoving his way to freedom, grabbing my hand and dragging me along with him in the process, but we didn't get far. Thomas appeared out of thin air, stepping directly in front of us to block our path, causing Frank to run into him head on.

"Ooh you finally got yourself a boyfriend faggot." He glanced down at our clasped hands with an evil smirk. I wrenched away quickly, trying to protect Frank from his wrath, but all the while knowing it was already too late.

"Well why don't I show him what happens to fags at this school." With those words, he aimed a punch straight at Frank's delicate jaw.

"No!" I screamed like a wild animal and launched myself at Thomas, uncaring about the consequences to myself as long as Frank was unharmed.

But it was a futile effort; one of Thomas's loyal followers - I hadn't bothered to waste the brain cells learning his name would involve - snatched me out of the air by my backpack, yanking me backwards so hard that the zipper broke, and my various book and pens scattered all over the hallway.

I watched in horror as Thomas's fist connected, and Frank fell limply to the floor. I rushed over to him and shielded him with my body. Why was there never a fucking teacher around when I needed one!?

"Look what we have here!" the same asshole that had torn my pack exclaimed gleefully, holding up my well-worn sketchbook. Just my luck - it had happened to fall open to the page which contained my now mostly finished sketch of Frank.

"Aww - he drew his boyfriend, how sweet is that?" Thomas mocked me as he threw the sketchbook back in my face.

I clutched it to my chest, desperately hoping that Frank hadn't seen it, but when I glanced down at him, I knew it was too late. I looked away in shame...so much for keeping my crush to myself.

I hunched over Frank, trying to protect him the best I could, when he sprang up off the floor, exposing himself to Thomas's gaze.

"You fuckers leave my friend alone." Frank managed to appear threatening, even though he was encumbered by his short stature.

"Standing up for your boyfriend shorty? Well I will make sure you regret that."

Thomas pulled back his fist, and I gathered myself to jump in the way of his blow, when Frank shocked all of us. Faster than my eye could follow, his own fist smacked Thomas straight in the jaw. The older boy crumpled on the floor in a heap...holy shit - Frank had knocked him out cold.

"Now take your boy toys and get out of here," Frank snarled.

With their leader down for the count, the rest of our attackers slunk off with their tails between their legs, dragging Thomas along with them.

"Holy shit Frank, where did you learn to do that?" I gushed.

"Oh - well...I used to get in a lot of fights back at my old school. I was always getting picked on for being short, and I finally got fed up with it, but honestly - I was just so angry that I got this weird rush. I definitely have never taken down someone as big as him before." He grinned sheepishly, which emphasized the growing bruise on his jaw.

"I am so sorry you had to get involved in that...you shouldn't have to deal with my problems." I dropped my head as I scrambled around on the floor, attempting to stuff my scattered belongs back into my bag.

"I already told you before Gerard, your problems are my problems, and I am not going anywhere." Frank fell to his knees and gently removed my sketchbook from my hands.

"Frank...I don't know what to say - I didn't mean for you to see that -" I began babbling, but he silenced me with a finger to my lips.

"Gerard - this is amazing...I never knew you could draw so well. I love it! You actually made me look attractive, which is no easy feat."

"Well that is how I see you..." I mumbled back shyly.

"Wow Gee...that is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." Frank had a look of awe plastered on his face, and seeing it gave me the confidence to lift my head up slightly.

"So you aren't disgusted or ashamed of me?" I questioned nervously.

"No - why would I be?"

"Because..." I took a bracing breath and forced the words out before I could second guess myself.

"I think I have a crush on you, and I know it's wrong, but I can't help it - wrong as in like...you are way younger than me wrong - not that being gay is wrong, and I didn't even know I was gay, but now I'm pretty sure I am, and...yeah." My words came out so jumbled I wasn't sure if Frank had understood me until a broad grin spread across his face.

"Well - as cheesy as this sounds - if it's wrong, then so am I."

With shaking hands, Frank gently grabbed the sides of my face and pulled my lips onto his before I could react. I melted into the kiss instantly, his lips felt as if they were made to be pressed against mine, and I couldn't get enough of them. That was my first kiss, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

We broke apart relatively quickly, I swear - my face flamed so hot that Frank should have started sweating. We still knelt in the now deserted hallway, breathless and blissfully happy.

"Did that really just happen?" I wondered out loud.

"Yes silly - it did. I can't believe you didn't notice sooner! I have had a crush on you pretty much since day one."

"Well I feel like an idiot now. I thought you were going to run for the hills if you ever found out I liked you. I didn't even think you were gay," I chuckled wryly.

"I may be young, but I have pretty much known I was gay my whole life. It just felt right to me. I was the weird boy who dressed up in tiaras and painted my nails instead of playing football, and I am okay with that."

"I wish I had your confidence. I barely just admitted to myself that I am gay, and I am so scared of anyone finding out."

"You mean - no one knows? Not even Mikey or your mom?"

"Nope..." I shook my head vehemently. I wasn't ashamed of my sexuality, but I was already so emotionally fragile, I didn't want to tell the people I loved and risk them judging me.

"Well whenever you are ready, let me know, and I will help you tell them."

"Frankie...you are an angel."

"And don't you forget it!" Throwing the last of my things into my bag, he closed it up the best he could and handed it to me.

"Now come on, let's get going before Mikey starts worrying."

We exited the building hand in hand, and I discreetly pinched myself to make sure this wasn't a dream or some crazy hallucination I had cooked up. When I didn't wake up, I smiled softly to myself, and squeezed Frank's hand gently.

This felt too good to be true, but I wasn't going to question it any longer. Out of all the ways this day could have ended, this was better than my wildest fantasies.

THEY KISSED!!!!!

I know it might have been a bit too soon, but I couldn't wait any longer, I wanted them to finally admit it :)

Just warning you guys, I am not sure if I will be able to update anymore this week. I am going on a road trip to see Tom Petty with my parents, so I will be super busy after tomorrow night.

I just want to thank each and every one of you for reading this, it really means the world to me.

<3 star