16: Never coming home

Gerard's POV

When Frank pressed his lips against mine, I truly believed that I was going to be okay. His refusal to give up on me lit a small spark of hope in my darkened heart, and I had found a reason to keep on living.

I knew I had a long way to go to truly recover from all of my bad habits, but with Frank by my side, I had faith that I could do it.

Melting even deeper into his kiss, I surrendered everything to him, trusting that he would never let me fall.

My moment of happiness with Frank was torn away so quickly, I could barely comprehend what was happening when a shrill voice pierced through my haze of contentment. When I saw the look of fury on Frank's mother's face, I shrank down into my bed as far as humanly possible, refusing to meet her gaze.

Frank scrambled back from me quickly, but not before she had seen us in such a compromising position. We were so fucked...after being so careful to keep our relationship hidden all of these months, now everything was ruined.

I should have known something like this would happen...the world didn't want me to be happy.

I glanced furtively at Frank to try and ascertain his reaction, but he kept his eyes glued to his lap, and I didn't want to do or say anything in case I made it worse. Now that I was truly looking at him, I realized he was all bandaged up, and wearing a hospital gown to boot.

I couldn't believe I didn't notice sooner, but I had been so wrapped up in my own misery, it had failed to penetrate my foggy brain. I didn't even know how long I had been in the hospital. I mentally slapped myself for not being more aware, and now I wouldn't have the chance to ask Frank what had happened.

"Frank - come with me this instant," his mother ordered, but Frank didn't move a muscle.

"Don't you dare ignore me young man!" she shrieked, and I visibly flinched at her harsh tone.

"What is the meaning of this?" Dr. Wentz entered the room with pissed off look on his face.

"I simply came to retrieve my son," Frank's mother huffed out at a much calmer volume.

"Well you are disrupting my patients, so can you please keep your voice down," he barked in an icy tone.

"You have no right to be upset with me. I should have been alerted that my son was awake, which I blame entirely on you!" They continued to argue, but I tuned it out and focused solely on Frank.

"Go with her Frank..." I whispered quietly. Even though it pained me to tell him that, I didn't want him to get into even more trouble because of me.

"I don't want to leave you."

"I will be here when you get back - I promise." I squeezed his hand gently and he gave me a half smile in return.

Dr. Wentz and his mother were still in a heated conversation, and it seemed they had completely forgotten about us.

I took the opportunity to press a chaste kiss against Frank's lips. I pulled away quickly before they saw, but it was worth it when I glimpsed the sparkle in Frank's eyes.

"Fine mom - I'm coming!" Frank called out in an exasperated tone of voice before exiting the room in his wheelchair, leaving her gaping after him.

I noticed two cops standing outside the door and sipping coffee. What the hell was going on? Why would there be cops here waiting with Frank's mother? I tried to force my fuzzy mind to think, but too much had happened in such a short time for me to comprehend anything.

"You doing okay Gerard?" Dr. Wentz asked after slamming the door behind Mrs. Iero. I liked this guy already for not backing down to Frank's mother, so I decided he deserved an answer instead of the silent treatment I usually gave doctors.