29: It was a lie when they smiled

Like the idiot I was, I forgot that Mikey had driven me to the hospital, so we had no way to get back to my apartment until my brother got off of work.

Luckily for us though, there was a coffee shop within walking distance, so we wouldn't have to spend our time waiting back in the dreary hospital. Frank's face lit up at the mention of coffee, and I didn't blame him; hospital coffee tasted like sludge, and that was putting it nicely.

"I can't remember the last time I had decent coffee," Frank sighed gratefully as he basically drained his entire cup in one go.

"That friend you were staying with didn't have coffee?" I was curious to know how Frank had been living these past few months, and I hoped my subtle attempts at revealing some of his past wouldn't upset him.

"Nah - he wasn't that big of a coffee drinker, he didn't even own a coffee machine!"

"What kind of person doesn't have a coffee maker?" I exclaimed in mock horror.

"Well - I mean...he was my drug dealer, so he had other ways to pep himself up," Frank chuckled softly.

"You were living with your drug dealer?" I tried to tone down the shock in my voice, but I failed miserably.

"Don't get me wrong, he was a really nice guy. I mean - he took me in without me even asking, he just found me on the streets and offered out of the blue. He was actually more caring than anyone in my life has been lately."

My feelings toward this guy softened slightly, I mean - anyone that protected Frank when I couldn't be there must be an okay guy.

Conversation kind of died off at that point, I couldn't think of anything else to say because I couldn't stop contemplating all the terrible things that Frank was so obviously hiding from me. I knew he needed time to be able to discuss them, but I didn't seem to be able to focus on anything else at the moment.

Luckily, my phone buzzed just then, giving me the perfect distraction from my thoughts.

"Mikey is on his way over," I informed Frank after skimming over the text he had sent me.

"Good, I want to take a shower and change out of these clothes."

"Well luckily my apartment does come equipped with a shower," I tried to joke, but come on - even I knew that was the worst attempt at humor in the history of the world.

"Hey Gee..." Frank trailed off while refusing to meet my gaze.

"Yeah baby, what's up?" I internally squealed when his face lit up at my use of a pet name.

"I...well - um...I don't have any clothes besides these, well actually, I don't have any belongs besides what I had in my backpack, and that's all locked up in police custody right now I assume."

His cheeks flamed red in embarrassment, and I reached across the table so I could capture his hand in mine. He flinched slightly at my touch, but before I could pull away, he laced our fingers together, so I left my hand where it was.

"Frankie - it's fine. You can borrow some of my clothes tonight, they might be a little big, but I'm sure I can scrounge up something that will fit you. Tomorrow we can go down to the station and get your stuff, and I will take you shopping for whatever else you need."

"You really don't have to do that for me Gerard, it just makes me feel like a burden." Frank kept his eyes downcast while he spoke, and I wanted him to look at me so I could see the emotion in them.

"Don't think like that - please don't, because it isn't true, not in the slightest. I want to do it for you because it makes me happy. You can't go around wearing my hand me downs all the time, and I kind of love shopping, so just indulge me okay?"