43: Bulletproof heart

"Mikey please - you have to help me!"

"I don't know what you want me to say bro...if you want to do it, then go for it. He's not going to say no, I can tell you that." Mikey peered over the rim of his glasses at me with a slightly bored expression on his face, completely unfazed by the internal breakdown I was having right now.

It had been eight months since Elena had died, and I was finally back to my old self again. I had gotten that job with Cartoon Network, and I loved it even more than I thought I would. Having a career in something I was passionate about had really lifted my spirits, and I hadn't had any need for the antidepressants lately. The money from my new job coupled with the large trust fund Elena had set away for me had given me an idea...

I wanted to propose to Frank - well I had always wanted to; Frank was the only person I could ever imagine spending the rest of my life with, but now I actually had the funds to buy him a proper ring and to afford a nice wedding as well, so I thought it was the perfect time to pop the question.

I knew we were young, but Frank and I had been through so much together that I thought we were ready for this step, and I was desperately hoping he felt that same way.

But getting up the nerve to do it was another matter entirely, I had already purchased the ring, but I hadn't managed to find the courage to utter the four words that had been floating around in my mind for the past few weeks, which was how I found myself at my younger brother's apartment begging for his advice.

"Of course I want to do it...I'm just scared." I threw myself down on his couch with a dramatic sigh.

"I'm not the magic proposal fairy who has all the answers. It's not like I have any experience with the matter," Mikey huffed out while taking a seat beside me on the sofa.

"You and Ray have only been official for a year, I'm sure it will happen sooner than you think." I nudged Mikey in the ribs with my foot teasingly.

"Well..."

"Oh my god - you are blushing!" I squealed, and Mikey covered his cheeks with both hands to try and conceal his reddening face.

"Shut up okay. I'm not going to do it yet...I've just been thinking about it - that's all." Mikey tried to keep his tone neutral, but I could hear his affection for Ray leaking through against his will.

"Aww...my baby brother is in love!"

"Seriously Gee, I will throw you out if you keep this up," Mikey pouted as I threw my arms around him in a hug.

"Fine - I'll stop, but only if you help me with my proposal." I pulled away from him with a giant smile plastered across my face.

"I don't know Gee, Frank isn't a super romantic guy, he isn't going to care what you say or how you do it. He loves you, so he is going to be ecstatic either way."

"I know...I just want to make it special." Frank deserved the most perfect proposal in the world, but he wasn't a flowers and candles kind of guy, and I was coming up blank on how I was going to make this something he would never forget.

"You will figure something out Gee, just...I don't know - do it somewhere that means a lot to the both of you." Mikey shrugged helplessly, but his words had actually given me the beginnings of an idea.

"Thanks Mikes! You are the best!" I squealed as I hurried to put my shoes back on so I could put my plan in action.

"Wait...what did I say?" Mikey shot me a confused look, but I didn't want to waste any time explaining it in case I lost my courage and chickened out at the last minute.