01 | parting ways

Diana's POV

I stood under the moonlight in the forest, staring at the sky. Tears trickled down my face, falling on the moist ground which was littered with dry leaves.

Flashback

"Junie, please don't leave me." I pleaded, tears falling down from my eyes, as I looked at the male standing in front of me. He was himself trying to hold back his tears.

"Diana, I have to. You know if I stay here any longer, Dad will keep on telling me to join his mafia." Yeonjun said, looking at me with gentle eyes, trying to persuade me in letting him go.

"But-" I said, protesting against it, still silently sobbing. Yeonjun hugged me, causing me to start sobbing loudly into his chest, the thought of parting from him breaking my heart into pieces.

"Diana, I don't want to leave you too. You know how much I loathe him, how much we loathe him..." He said, running his hand through my hair, trying to calm me down as I cried uncontrollably.

"But I don't want to live with him alone. He doesn't even care if I live or not." I cried. "You are my only family." I added, wrapping my arms tighter around him. Suddenly, I felt something wet on my head. I looked up and realised that tears were trickling down Yeonjun's eyes, falling on my head.

"Diana, look at me." He said, pulling back and making me look at him, his eyes glistening in tears. "When I settle down and become independent, I will come back. I will take you back with me, away from here, okay?" He said, his eyes pleading.

"Promise?" I asked him, as I stared at his face. A smile ran on his lips, while he looked at me lovingly.

"Promise." He said, hugging me for the last time. A guard came towards us and told us that we were called by dad. We walked into his office and stood in front of him.

"So Yeonjun, are you ready to join me? You are the best man over here. I will make you my right hand." said the man, sitting on the chair, who was also my dad. "You can also take my position as the leader after me." He added.

I was standing behind Yeonjun, looking down at the floor, witnessing the conversation.

"No. I am not joining you." Yeonjun said, looking at dad straight in the eye. Dad's eyes widened, surprised at the male's response.

"What?! Are you sure?" Dad asked, shocked, his hands stopping in between the process of lighting the cigarette in his hand.

"Yes. I am sure." Yeonjun said, his voice bitter and cold.

"Well then, you are no use to me anymore. You can leave." Dad said, as he finally lit the stick of tobacco wrapped in paper and blew out a smoke ring.

"I am glad though." Yeonjun muttered. He turned around, looking at me for the last time, a small smile on his lips, before leaving the room.

"And remember, if I see you again, I won't hesitate to kill you." Dad said, as Yeonjun walked away. "Diana you can go." he said later but to his surprise, I had already left as soon as Yeonjun went out of that door.

End of flashback

I would be lying if I say I didn't miss him. He didn't contact me for an entire year. Dad thought that he was probably dead but I knew that he was alive and hoped that he would come back to get me.

Yeonjun was my step brother. My mom had died while giving birth to me because she was ill and too weak to make it. My dad wanted a son so that he can continue his mafia gang but he was bitterly disappointed when he realised that the only child he had was a girl. In short, he was disappointed in my existence.

My step mom was a divorcee and had a son, who was Yeonjun. Yeonjun wanted to live with his dad but his dad didn't want him so he was forced to live with his mom.

We both loved each other as if we were actual siblings. When he went away, I felt as if my other half was taken away from me.

Where are you? I miss you so much. I thought, as I shot my last arrow at the target. I walked over to the tree and saw that all the arrows had hit the same spot.

I hope wherever you are right now, you are safe and sound.

I removed all the arrows and stuffed them in my quiver after which I walked back to my house.