56 | control over fear

Diana's POV

"Jihun had inherited his coldness and cruelty from me, which I soon realised as he grew up. As soon as he was eighteen, my sister started training him, after which I sent him to Jungwoo to work as one of him men." My step mother said, as she looked at Jihun who was standing behind Yeonjun, his gun pointed at him.

"I knew that one day Jungwoo will be killed by you both, at least by one of you, so I let you both live, until Diana killed my sister, who had switched places with me that day while I went to explain my plan to Jihun." She said, a hint of sorrow evident on her face. "I had to go in hiding, as the world thought that I had died, including Jungwoo. But I had to keep an eye on you both, so I sent Jihun at Jungwoo's place, as soon as he was ready." She said, as she motioned towards Jihun, indicating him to speak ahead.

"And I did exactly what Mom had told me, keep an eye on both of you, while she did her work, taking different mafias under her, which she would later hand to me, making me the most powerful mafia boss in the entire world." He said, pride evident in his voice. Mother smiled, as she nodded slowly.

"Years went by, as my plan went as it was supposed to. Jungwoo was killed by you, and the only thing left was taking over his mafia to achieve what we both dreamt of." She said, as she looked at me. "We knew after Jungwoo, the mafia would be given to you, so our next task was to kill you so that Jihun gets the mafia." She said, as she glared at me.

"That's why I purposely told my men to attack Yeonjun so that you will come running to help him, but the entire plan got ruined, as I saw Jake fighting in the room, instead of you. So I had to stab him, in order to bring him here." Jihun said, as he looked at Jake.

"You bi-" I said, as I tried to punch Jihun's face but he shook his head, as he motioned at Yeonjun.

"Oh no Diana, you make a move and you see him die, along with your boyfriend. So better stay where you are." He sneered, causing me to back trace my path and stand quietly.

"All this," Yeonjun said, his voice a bit shaky, as he looked up at his mother. "Only to become the most strongest person? All these betrayals, cold blooded murders, they don't mean anything to you?" He asked, as he looked at her. I could see his eyes glistening, pain and sorrow evident in his voice, after hearing the amount of lives lost and the number of betrayals which had happened.

"They are just part of life, son. They are inevitable." She said, as she shrugged her shoulders casually.

"You are a monster. With no heart, no humanity, no feelings. None at all." Yeonjun said, hatred evident in his voice, every word spoken with such force that it made his voice was louder than usual. "You were the one who went to Taehwan to form an ally against Jungwoo, am I right?" He sneered, causing her to burst out chuckling, as she nodded.

"Not that I care being called a monster unless the trick works for me. And yes, it was me who went to Taehwan to make a deal against Jungwoo." She said, before her eyes wandered around the room, stopping at me. "Now Diana, we have a deal to make. Hand over Jungwoo's mafia to Jihun or else Jake and Yeonjun die." She said, as she picked up the knife from the table, standing beside Jake, who was looking at me, as he slowly shook his head.

"Diana, no. Don't do this. She is just playing with you." Yeonjun said from behind, trying to persuade me. "You give her the mafia, and she will misuse it, even more than Jungwoo." He added, his voice now pleading. I took in a shaky breath, as I closed my eyes, letting the tears which I was holding back all this time, fall down my face. I looked down at the floor, as I thought hard, when I spotted Yeonjun's gun, which was lying about a feet away from me.

"Come on Diana, the mafia or your family, you have to make a choice." She said, as she patiently waited for my response. 

I can't afford to loose them, nor can I afford to give up the mafia to her. Diana come on, you can do this. Remember what Jake and Yeonjun always said, it was not your fault, you are not worthless, you can do anything which you put your mind to.

"Diana, time's ticking." My step mother said, as she moved towards Jake, keeping the knife on his throat. I looked up, as I saw Jake close his eyes, gulping which made his adam's apple drop down, as he waited for mother to silt his throat. I took a deep breath, as I crouched down, picking up the gun on the floor in one go, gripping it firmly in my hand as I tried to ignore the flashbacks which were happening right in front of my eyes, as I looked up at mother.

"Messing with my family was probably the worst thing you ever did in your life." I sneered, as I stood up, pointing the gun at her. Her eyes widened, as she looked at me with complete shock.

"But you were a-afraid of guns-" She stuttered, visibly shook, as her eyes widened in surprise, filled with fear.

"Diana-" I heard Yeonjun said from behind, his voice barely audible. I sighed deeply, as I placed my finger on the trigger. I glanced at Jake, as I noticed him looking at me, his eyes glistening in tears, as he slowly nodded at my direction.

"Seeing my loved ones in danger pushed me to do this." I said, as I looked back at my step-mother, who was just standing there, frozen in her spot. "And I swear, I will never regret it like I did before when I shot your sister." I said, before I pulled the trigger, the bullet hitting her left shoulder, causing her to cry out in pain, her knife falling out of her hand.

"No! I'll kill you for this!" Jihun yelled, as he turned around to shoot at me, but Yeonjun elbowed him, making the gun fall out of his hand.

"I don't think so, bitch." A female voice said from the door. I turned around and saw Aerum standing there, her gun pointed at Jihun, who was now pinned down on the floor by Yeonjun.

"Don't you dare ruin my plan!" Mother said, as she stood up, as she held her left shoulder with her right hand, her face scrunched in pain. "It took me bloody years!" She shouted, as she tried to grab the knife which had fallen on the floor.

"Spend the rest of your time rotting in hell, you monster." I snapped, as I shot her, her body jerking back every time a bullet hit her. I threw the gun away, as I saw her dead body fall down on the ground with a soft thud, her life-less eyes wide open in horror.

"Diana, take care of Jake. I'll take this bitch to another room." Yeonjun said through clenched teeth, as he heaved up Jihun, making him stand on his feet, his face covered with bruises, blood trickling down his forehead, as Yeonjun had beaten him pretty badly.

"Gladly." I said, as I gave Jihun a dirty look, before turning my head around and rushing towards Jake.