55 | story time

Diana's POV

"We realised that if we could show world that there was only one of us who lived, but actually there were two, we could achieve all the heights this mafia world has ever seen." Mother said, as she looked at us, her knife still in her hand. I looked down at Jake, who was just sitting there with his eyes closed, his head hung down lifelessly as if he was too tired to even lift it up and look at us.

"So we staged an accident, where we showed the world that my sister was killed. Later on, we removed all her data about her existence with the help of a powerful mafia boss, who was unfortunately later on killed by me." She said, chuckling darkly, as if she had cracked a joke. "He was Jihun's dad. Not that Jihun minds because I told him how much of an asshole his dad was. I was probably nineteen at that time when Jihun was born." She said, as she blankly stared into space, as if she was a soldier, recalling a war which was won by her comrades and narrating it to her kids.

"You are heartless." I spat, as I glared at her. Mother chuckled, as she shrugged her shoulders.

"I achieved a lot from it, honey. So no regrets." She said, as she looked at me with her cold eyes. "Anyways, where was I?" She asked, as she looked at Jihun.

"My dad." he said, as if he was really interested in listening to her story. Mother nodded, as she sighed deeply before opening her mouth to speak.

"I worked for different mafia bosses, asking them to protect me in return and also providing an alibi, when my sister was out, taking down all the bosses one by one, as we would take their men after the boss was dead." She said, as she clenched the cloth of her dress, turning her knuckles white, clenching her jaw in anger. "Until Diana's dad somehow managed to get hold of all the men before we could do that." She said, anger and hatred evident in her voice.

"At least he did something good in his entire life." Yeonjun muttered, rolling his eyes, causing me to snicker at his comment.

"Shut up!" Jihun roared from behind, causing me to stop laughing. Yeonjun coughed, as he looked at me with an amused expression on his face. Mother pinched her nose bridge, highly annoyed by us, as she took a few deep breaths to calm herself.

"Moving on," Mother said, as she looked up at me, annoyed. "After we got to know that, I decided to learn more about that man, thinking that some fact might possibly help me get back all the men." She said, as she kept down her knife beside her, on the table. "And it turned out to be useful. I realised he was a grieving man who had lost his wife, a daughter left behind." She said, sighing, as she laid her eyes on me.

"Mom, you forgot about Yeonjun." Jihun pipped up, as he looked at mother, reminding her. She looked at him confused, as she thought for a second before her eyes lit up, as she remembered. I saw Yeonjun's jaw clench in anger, as he realised that his birth was so insignificant for her that she had completely forgotten it.

"Oh yes. About my second son-" She said, as she got down the table, making her way to Yeonjun slowly, her cold gaze on him. "My sister was almost caught once, while she murdered a man. As he was called her lover, the authorities accused her, or should I say, me. So to show that I was already married, I had secretly made a deal with Yeonjun's dad, which helped me in showing that we both were already married." She said, as she stood in front of him, right in front of his face. "And after having you, the world believed that I was innocent, and the man was probably killed by someone else." She said, as she ran her finger over Yeonjun's jaw, her long nail on her index finger slowly tracing it.

"I'll never forgive you for this." Yeonjun said through clenched teeth, anger evident in his voice while he looked at mother with pure hatred in his eyes.

"But you will be already dead for that, sweetheart." She said in a sweet voice, as she looked at Yeonjun as if he was her only precious thing in this world. Yeonjun scoffed, as he looked away from her. "So, later on it turns out that Yeonjun's dad already loved someone else. I politely stepped out of his way, as I took Yeonjun with me and then I got to know that Choi Jungwoo, the same man who took all the men of the boss's my sister had killed, was a grieving over his wife who had recently died, with a daughter with him." She said, as she turned around, walking back towards Jake. 

"Where was Jihun all this time?" I asked, as I looked at her, following her every movement. She turned around, as she looked at me curiously, but slightly amused.

"Enjoying the story, hmm? He was at some foster home. Until I brought him back as soon as I married Jungwoo." She said, as she smirked, an amused expression on her face. I clenched my teeth in anger, as I almost lunged forward for her throat but stopped when mother picked up her knife again, pointing it at Jake. "Sorry honey, I got you in the right place." She said, as she threw a playful wink at me.

"Diana, calm down." Yeonjun spoke softly, as he gripped my hand, pulling me back. "We can't get angry now and do something stupid." He whispered such that it was only audible to me. I nodded, agreeing, as I glared at my step mother.

"Getting married to Jungwoo saved me from all the other bosses, who wanted my throat because of all the harm, I, or should I say, my sister, had done to them, due to Jungwoo's huge reputation in the mafia world. The hardest part was probably acting to fall in love with him." Mother said, as she sighed, looking down at the floor. "Then I realised how worthless Yeonjun was, how much he loved Diana, and how he always did what was right." She sneered, as she looked up at Yeonjun. "It was absolutely sickening, seeing him protect her." She said, as she looked at me from Yeonjun.

"Now that I was married to Jungwoo and had two kids, it was difficult for me to make my masterplans which my sister could execute. While I thought about a solution, I witnessed how much Jungwoo hated Diana." She said, her eyes on me. "So I poisoned his mind about her, thinking that if he get rids of Diana, maybe Yeonjun would become like I wanted but it failed. He was as pathetic like he already was." She said, as she glared at Yeonjun.

I turned my head around to look at Yeonjun. His eyes were glistening in tears, as he saw his own mother tell him how worthless he was for her. Only I knew, how much it actually hurt to hear those words.

"But then I realised how much hatred you both had for Jungwoo, after which I came up with a plan, which was so discreet that no one would have suspected, until it got ruined on the day Jungwoo was killed, and Jake decided to save Yeonjun instead of Diana."