13 | flashback

Diana's POV

"We have to go somewhere. Jake is staying back, but he is busy with something." Sunghoon told me while standing up from the couch.

"Drop me off to the weapon room please. I need to find something for myself." I requested him, standing up with the support of the couch's handle. Sunghoon nodded in response as he wrapped one of my arm around his neck and helped me go downstairs to the weapon room.

"Knives on that shelf, bows and arrows on that one." Sunghoon stated, pointing to the shelves while I removed my hand from his neck, standing straight with the support of the table beside me.

"You can leave." I said, nodding as I stared at the shelves which were full of different types of weapons.

"You can have anything you want. If you need something, you can ask Jake." He added, before walking out and leaving me alone in the room.

I went through the combat knife section and soon enough, found a perfect pair for me. Happy and satisfied with my new weapons, I went to the archery section, picking out the perfect arrows and tested the bows.

Soon after half an hour, I finally finished choosing my weapons. I looked behind and noticed that the door of the room was closed.

He must have closed it before he left.

I opened the door, knives attached to the boots I had chosen, quiver full of arrows and a bow slung on my back. As soon as I opened the door, I heard someone shouting.

"I am asking you for the last time, why does he hate her so much? What did she do to deserve this?" I immediately recognised that Jake was shouting at someone, his voice giving away that he was pretty mad at that person.

I walked slowly with the help of the wall towards the room the voice was coming from. Fortunately, the door was left open. I peeked inside and saw a man tied to the chair and Jake standing in front of him.

"So you won't tell me?" Jake asked, his voice cold and malice. My heart almost stopped beating as I wondered how a person, who looked so warm and huggable, could be so cold like this.

The man who was tied to the chair simple shook his head in response. Jake scoffed as he took out his gun and shot the man on his leg. The sound of the gun being fired echoed throughout the basement, along with a blood curling scream which arose from the man's throat.

"Now?" Jake simply asked, his gun still pointed at him.

"I would never tell." He said, his voice hoarse.

"Well then you asked for this." Jake simply stated, loading the gun in his hand and pointing it towards the man. Suddenly, many bullets were fired from the gun, each time the body of the man jerking due to the force of the bullet which pierced him. I stumbled back, my knees buckling, resulting in me sitting down on the floor with my back facing the wall as I stared at the scene which was happening in front of me.

It all seemed familiar. Too familiar. Tears streamed down my face as everything flashed before my eyes like a video clip.

Flashback

It was heavily raining outside. Having nothing to do, I went into Dad's room, hoping to find something with which I can kill my free time. I saw a black object lying on his table. I remembered that the object was called a gun and all the men in the house carried one of these.

I took the gun in my hand, looking at it carefully. Suddenly, the door of the room opened, revealing my step mom. I quickly ran to her happily, wanting to tell her about my discovery.

"Mom, see what I found out!" I said, excited, as I showed her the gun in my hand. I saw her smile softly at me.

"You want to try it?" She asked as she crouched down to come at my face level. I nodded, a smile on my face.

"Yes!" I said, jumping happily. We both sat on my Dad's bed, mother sitting opposite to me.

"So now, you hold it like this." She said, taking my hand in hers and she made the thin end of the funny object point towards me. I looked at it, confused, and then looked up at her.

"But, I have seen Junie hold it the other way around." I said, tilting my head in confusion, as I looked up at my mother, while pointing it the other way, that is towards her.

"That was some other gun sweetie, this is how you actually hold it." She said, forcing me to turn my hand.

"But I saw Dad also holding the gun like this." I said, pointing the gun towards her. I saw her face scrunch in frustration, as she turned my hand again, pointing the thin end towards me.

"Mom, no. It's that way." I said, again pointing the gun towards her, resisting her. Unknowingly, I clenched my fingers too hard on the gun, pulling the trigger. Suddenly a deafening sound came from the black object. I dropped it on the bed and covered my ears with my hand, shutting my eyes close, scared.

After a few seconds, I opened my eyes. I gasped in horror as I saw my step-mother's lifeless eyes look at me.

"Mom?" I called out, shaking her shoulders. As soon as I jerked her shoulders a bit, her body fell on the bed, her eyes open. I looked down and saw blood pouring out of her stomach.

"Oh no, no, no- I didn't do anything." I said, my cries becoming louder. "Mother, wake up please." I cried while shaking her, tears falling down my face on the mattress.

"Mom?" A voice suddenly came from the door. I whipped my head to my left and saw Yeonjun standing there near the door.

"Junie, I didn't do anything. Please believe me." I said as I went crying to him. He immediately opened his arms, engulfing me into a hug, his hands wrapping around me tightly.

"I know Diana. I saw everything." He said, rubbing my back and trying to calm me down, while I cried bitterly into his shoulders.

End of Flashback