09 | inner demon

Diana's POV

I was sitting in the room which was allotted to me, the one where I woke up first. I lied down on the bed, staring at the ceiling as I wondered why my luck was so pathetic in terms of my parents.

Looking out of the window, I saw the evening sunlight fall into the room through it, giving the room a warm glow. I was staring out of the window when suddenly I heard a knock on the door.

"It's already open. Come in." I said, not looking away.

"Something came up so we have to go out." A male spoke. I turned my head around and saw Jake standing, his hands crossed over his chest as he leaned against the door.

"Okay. So you guys need me to take care of this place?" I asked, shifting towards the edge of the bed in order to stand up. He quickly walked up to me, grabbing my shoulders to stop me from whatever I was doing.

"Oh no, no. You are not supposed to do anything till your leg is healed. Someone is already staying back for that thing." He said, pointing at my right leg.

"Who?" I asked, confused.

"Me." A voice came from the door. I moved my head a bit to see whom did the voice belonged to and saw Sunghoon standing near the door, his gaze on me.

"Yeah, Sunghoon is staying back. Anyways, I should leave, the others are waiting for me." Jake said, removing his large hands from my shoulder as he turned around to leave. Soon enough, I heard the main door close indicating that the rest of them had left.

I again looked out of the window and realised the sun had already set. Even though I was not looking at the male who was standing near the door, I could sense that he was a bit tensed and wanted to say something.

"Uh, how's your leg?" He asked, sitting beside me. I mentally chuckled at how introverted the male was and starting a conversation was probably a huge task for him.

"It's better to be honest. I'm pretty sure it will heal in a week." I said, touching my bandage as I looked at my injured foot closely.

"It had missed the bone. Only the muscle had torn a bit but it's stitched up." He said, shrugging his shoulders. I nodded in response, looking up to face him.

"Thank you." I said, smiling.

"No problem. Anyways, do you want to say something?" He asked, looking at me. My eyebrows furrowed, as I looked at him, confused. "You look as if there is a lot going on in your mind. Want to open up?" He asked, a small smile on his face. I sighed as I nodded slowly, framing the question in my head which I wanted to ask from a long time.

"It's just that..." I said, poking my finger in the mattress, as I saw the mattress sink beneath my finger and then rise up as soon as I lifted my finger up.

"Go on." Sunghoon said, his eyes on me.

"I am your enemy's daughter, so like, would you guys hurt me for information or blackmailing or something?" I said, looking at him in the eyes. "Please answer honestly. I just want to know if there are people except Yeonjun who want me to live." I said, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. The fact that my Dad wanted to kidnap me and get me killed had shaken me us so much that everything and everyone around me felt as if they were against me.

It hurt, it hurt so much that I felt like giving up.

I looked away as I felt a tear fall down from my eyes so that Sunghoon wouldn't see me crying.

"Hey, look at me." He said, keeping his warm hands on my shoulder as he turned me to face him. I quickly wiped the tears from my cheek and looked at him, his gentle gaze on me.

"We would never hurt you, okay? Even though you are Jungwoo's daughter. We never hurt people who are innocent and you never did something so why would we hurt you?" He said, looking at me with his brown eyes.

Sunghoon's POV

I saw Diana blank out, staring into space. Soon, her breath hitched as she started breathing heavily, shaking her head slightly.

"No, no, no-" She ranted, tears falling from her eyes. I got worried at her state, thinking she was having a panic attack since her breath was really irregular.

"Diana? What happened?" I asked, shaking her a bit which fortunately helped me bring her back to reality. She stopped crying as she looked at me with wide eyes.

"I-yeah, I'm fine." She said, moving away from me and wiped her tears. I looked at her, confused at her sudden change in behaviour.

"Are you sure? You blanked out suddenly." I asked her, trying to know if anything was wrong. She shook her head slowly.

"I'm fine. It's just- I remembered something. Now, it's fine." She said, giving me a smile. I knew right away that the smile was fake but I didn't press the matter much.

"If you need something, tell me okay? I'm in my room." I said, shifting towards the edge of the bed and standing up, ready to leave.

"I need to make a quick call to Yeonjun. Can you like lend me a phone or something?" She asked, shrugging her shoulders.

"Yeah. Take this." I said, as I felt my pocket, removing the phone from it and gave it to her.

"Thanks." She said. I nodded and went out of the room.

Diana's POV

Soon after scrolling through the contacts, I found Yeonjun's number.

"Junie?" I said softly.

"Diana? What happened?" He asked, confused as to why I had called him. I heard Kai and Soobin yelling in the background.

"Why can I hear Kai and Soobin yelling?" I asked, confused as to why those two males were fighting.

"Soobin took Kai's dolphin plushie. They are fighting over it. It's not new though. You tell me first, what happened?" He asked, concerned as I had called him suddenly.

"Junie," I sighed. "That memory is haunting me, again." I said, trying my best not to break down crying.

"Why? It was fine all this time. We talked about it right? It was not your fault. Stop blaming yourself." He spoke, his voice gentle yet stern, as he tried to persuade me. I nodded slowly.

"I really don't know. It's just that- her face comes in front of my eyes. The entire memory flashes like a video clip when I see someone handing me a gun." I said, breaking down into sobs as I buried my face in my left hand, tears trickling down my arm.

"Hey, I don't want my little sister to cry. Is Sunghoon there? I want to talk to him for a minute." Yeonjun said, his voice now soft and gentle. I wiped my tears, sniffling.

"Yeah, one minute." I said, as I put the phone a bit away from me. "Sunghoon, Yeonjun wants to talk to you!" I shouted loud enough so that my voice could be heard by him. Soon enough, I heard footsteps coming towards my room, Sunghoon entering inside.

"Here- he wants to speak to you."