25 | life is unfair

Jake's POV

My heart shattered to pieces when I heard Diana say that through her sobs.

"No, no. Don't say that. You didn't fail in anything." I said, as I tried to calm her down by talking sweet things to her. She shook her head, as she continued to cry.

"No, Jake! My family fell apart because of me. My Dad is like this because of me. I couldn't fulfill my mother's last wish which was to keep everyone together." She sobbed into my shoulder. "I just failed in everything. I don't deserve anyone's love." She said, muttering the last line, as sobs came out of her mouth. My heart ached, as I saw her in this condition. Somehow, every word of hers hit me in the heart like a bullet.

"Hey, look at me." I said, as I made her to face me. She wiped her tears, as she lifted her head and looked at me, her eyes glistening. "Do you know why I call you princess?" I asked her softly, as I looked back intently at her.

"No." She muttered slowly, as she shook her head. I smiled, as I pulled her into a hug again, running my fingers through her hair, trying to calm her down.

"Because you are one, at least for me and always for me. You think you are nothing but, you are different from others which makes you special." I said, as I planted a kiss on her forehead, making her look at me. "And your mother chose you over herself because she knew somehow how special you are. It was her decision and it's not your fault, it was never your fault." I spoke gently, trying to explain it to her.

"Your family was probably never meant to stick together. Not all families are. So stop blaming yourself and thinking you are nothing and not loved because as long as I am here, you can never be alone and not loved." I said, letting out a small chuckle, as tears swelled up behind my eyes, threatening to fall down. Diana let out a small sob, before wrapping her arms tightly around me, crying into my shoulder, as I gently patted her head.

"I love you so much." She said, as she stopped crying, taking in deep breaths to calm herself down. I smiled, as I gently placed my hand on her jaw, lifting it up, placing my lips on hers, kissing her. I felt her smile against my lips, as she kissed me back. Soon, we pulled apart, after which Diana rested her head on my shoulder, sitting silently. We both sat in each other's arms, as we enjoyed the comfortable silence which had fallen in the room.

Diana's POV

"You know, you remind me a lot of my mother." Jake said, sighing, breaking the silence. I lifted up my head from his shoulder, as I looked at him, confused. "She was a lot like you, kind, caring, strong, everything." He said, as he looked down, staring at the floor. "I shouldn't have let her leave home that day." He said in a low voice, as he continued to stare at the floor. I realised that tears streaming down his face.

"What happened to her?" I asked softly, as I stared at his face for reaction.

Jake's POV

I let out a breathy sigh, as I closed my eyes, recalling that day while I narrated everything to Diana.

Flashback

It was raining heavily outside, and occasional thunder could be heard. I was in my room, staring out of the window, while I saw sheets of water fall down from the heavens on the ground. Suddenly, I heard my Dad shouting.

"Are you out of your mind?! It's raining so heavily and you are thinking of going to the hospital?!" I heard his voice shouting from downstairs. Curious, I jumped down the bed, and climbed down the stairs, my hands raised up, holding the railing firmly which was even higher than me. I saw my mom, wearing her white coat, as she packed her stuff in her bag.

"There is an emergency honey, I have to go." She said, as she looked up at my Dad, who was looking at her with wide eyes. I climbed down the last step, as I ran towards her, tugging her coat to grab her attention. She looked down, as she smiled softly at me.

"Mommy, where are you going now?" I asked, as I looked up at her. She smiled, as she crouched down, picking me up in her arms, causing me to wrap my arms around her neck for support.

"I need to go to work, sweetie. Mommy will be back, okay?" She said, as she pecked my cheek, causing me to giggle. I nodded, as I showed her a small thumbs up, smiling.

"See? Even he agrees." Mom said, as she turned her head around to look at my Dad. He sighed, as he glanced at me, and then looked at my mom.

"But it's not safe. The water level of the river must have risen already and it's dangerous to cross the bridge." He said, as he looked at my mom with pleading eyes, trying to persuade her to not to go. Mom crouched down, as she kept me on the floor.

"It's okay, Mr. Officer. I'll be fine." She said, smiling, as she leaned forward to peck my Dad's lips, after which grabbing her bag, while she picked up the keys of the car from the table. Dad sighed, giving up, as he opened the door for her. I waved at Mom, as I saw her get into the car in the rain. She waved back from the car, smiling, as she started the car and drove away.

I was sitting on the floor, playing with my toy when my Dad's phone rang. He stood up, as he went to the table and picked his phone up, looking at the caller id.

"Hello?" He said, after picking up the phone. I turned my head around, and saw him standing, his eyebrows furrowed. "No, she left fifteen minutes back. What do you mean she hasn't reached yet?" He asked, as he picked up the remote from the table, switching on the tv. I turned my head around, as I looked at the screen, which was showing building falling down, water engulfing them. Suddenly, the camera showed a lady, who was standing in the rain, wearing a raincoat with a mic in her hand, as she looked up at the camera.

"We just got a news that the bridge which connects the north and the south side, has been swept away because of the force of the river, which had swelled up due to the heavy rains, taking four cars which were crossing, along with it."

Suddenly, my Dad's phone fell down on the ground with a thud, as he stared at the screen in shock.

Diana's POV

"Later we got to know that one of the cars was hers." Jake said, as he wiped his tears. "Only if I could have stopped her." He said, before breaking down into soft sobs. I moved closer, as I wrapped my arms around him, engulfing him into a hug.

"I'm so sorry." I said, as tears streamed down my face, while I patted his head softly, trying to calm him down.

"And that's not all, later on when I was in college, I got the news that my Dad was shot dead, while he was chasing a mafia gang, which later on escaped from there." He said, his tears drenching my t-shirt. "The world is not fair to us Diana, it took my parents away from me even though I had done nothing to deserve it." He said, before he broke down into loud sobs. I nodded, as tears trailed down my cheeks, as I ran my fingers through his hair, trying to console him.

"I know Jake, I know that too well. People tell us to accept the things as they are, but only do we know that how hard it is actually to do it." I said, causing the male to nod slowly, as he stopped crying. We continued to sit like that in silence, as the night grew deeper.

Later on, as I was trying to pull myself away, I heard him snoring softly against my neck, indicating that he had already fallen asleep in my arms. I smiled to myself, as I shifted into a comfortable position, and closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep.